Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-ce015dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I recently replaced both the battery and ac adapter on my hp omen laptop. (Both are less than 6 months old at this point) However, a few weeks after buying my ac adapter, it started doing this thing where it would start charging like normal when I plugged it in, but the light would immediately go from orange to white, even when my laptop wasn't 100% charged. It would show that the laptop was plugged in, but after a few seconds, the laptop would stop charging completely and the battery icon would show that it wasn't plugged in. (I never got a message that said: Plugged in, Not Charging, it just simply stopped charging.) Despite this, the light beside the charging port is still white.

With previous adapters, what I'd need to do is rotate the cable a few times before it would finally recognize the adapter again and either start charging back up to 100% or would hold a charge at whatever percentage it was at, which wasn't ideal but it worked for me. 

Here are the solutions I've already tried that haven't worked.

1. Hard resetting - I've unplugged the adapter, removed my battery, and held the power button for 15, 20, and 30 seconds on separate occasions with absolutely no change whatsoever.

2. Updating BIOS

3. Uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver and restarting my computer

4. Checking the pin in the adapter to see if it's broken and checking the charging port on my laptop. Both seemed fine with no noticeable defects, though I'm unfamiliar with computer hardware and might have overlooked something on this

5. Tried different outlets all over my house - Each one yields the same results

6. Tested my battery - It's in good condition. However, I have no way to test the ac adapter as it doesn't charge long enough to test it via my laptop and I do not have any other laptops that are compatible with this specific ac adapter.

I do have an old ac adapter that I've been using so I can keep working, however, it is very quickly falling apart and doesn't have much life left in it. Like previous ac adapters I've owned, it will also start charging, go from an orange light to a white light immediately, and then completely stop charging after a few seconds, and only rotating the cable while it was plugged in several times in either direction will make it charge, or at the very least, hold a charge again.

I'm assuming because this is a pattern among all ac adapters I've purchased in the past that perhaps this might have something to do with my laptop and that something might be damaged on the inside. However, whenever I buy a new ac adapter, it works perfectly for a certain amount of time before starting to have issues.

I'm also wondering if I need an ac adapter with a higher wattage? My laptop came with a 150W ac adapter, and the current one I'm using and the new one I have are both 150W. Would getting a 200W charger solve this? Or is that going to cause more harm?

I also feel it's appropriate to note that my laptop is no longer under warranty, so that is not an option, unfortunately. I also recently factory reset my laptop and haven't undergone any major software updates except for the regular updates that Windows puts out, and at this moment, my laptop is currently up to date.

Thank you in advance for your help and if there is any more information you need, please let me know. I'm new to these forums and asking for computer-related help in general. I'm open to all solutions or even just an explanation why things may be happening the way they are. Thank you again

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@aniluan

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

I understand that your HP New ac adapter is not working correctly. I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 
The last thing I can suggest trying to restore a computer back to the factory default, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue. 

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for your response. Unfortunately, after setting my computer back to its factory default, the issue still persists.

I appreciate your time, thank you.

HP Recommended

@aniluan

Thank you for posting back.

It seems like hardware related issue with the product, as we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt response! I will be reaching out to support, per your request. I hope you have a lovely day and thank you again!

HP Recommended

@aniluan

Thank you for posting back. 

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Ana, also please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day!  

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.