Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 17-ck0080ng
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello all,

will upgrading the RAM of an OMEN 17-ck0080ng (from 16gb to 64gb) void the 2-year warranty?
The procedure is listed in the manual under "Removal and replacement procedures for authorized service provider parts", and there is no such chapter as "Customer Self-Repair parts"

Thank you and BR

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

We were advised some time ago that opening an HP laptop to upgrade/replace memory, storage or wireless is not going to void the warranty as long as no damage is done in the process. As to whether your laptop will accept 64 gigs, on that I am not sure but it might. Did you check max memory as reported by the system from the command line like this?

https://www.maketecheasier.com/how-to-find-out-maximum-ram-capacity-of-computer/

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick answer!
I cannot check the max memory via command line, because I don't own the product.

I just wanted to know if I can upgrade the memory without voiding the warranty, cause the procedure is listed under "Removal and replacement procedures for authorized service provider parts" in the Maintenance and Service Guide and this would defintely be a reason for not buying the product to me.

PS:
According to crucial, a RAM upgrade to 64gb should be possible (https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-omen-17-ck0080ng-)

HP Recommended

I know most 11th gen systems will accept 64 gigs. We know the Manuals seem to say upgrade is not permitted but this is a common question here as you might expect and Experts have responded as I did for quite some time. 

HP Recommended

Is there a way to get a definite answer from HP about keeping the warranty during a correct and flawless RAM upgrade?

HP Recommended

None any better than here. There is no mechanism I know of to get any kind of ironclad guarantee in advance of buying the product. If you need that to buy the laptop I would say you should see if another manufacturer will give you such a promise. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.