Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17-an098nx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Welcome back.

I recently changed the RAM in my notebook to a faster one.
Previously, I had two SAMSUNG bones, 16GB 2400 MHz each.
I exchanged for two KINGSTON FURY dice, 16GB 3200 Mhz each
I checked the website recommended by hp to see if my motherboard would handle it. I have an 8393 40.28 motherboard and an F24 bios

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-8393-motherboard

it says on this page that the board supports 3200Mhz RAM.

While Hp Support Assistant has detected new bones for me:

1.jpg

Omen gaming Hub also detected them :

2.jpg

I also checked with the command in the windows command line:

3.jpg

Yes, I have a problem with windows. Windows continues to read the bone clock as 2400Mhz. :

4.jpg

Windows is still reading the dice at 2400Mhz. I tried to look for options in the biose, including increasing the clock speed, but unfortunately there is no such option. Is there any way to use the full speed of the new dice. If so, I would ask for help on how to do it.

Thank you in advance

Regards.

And tHis is CPU-Z Screen :

3.jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The fastest speed your notebook's i7-7700HQ processor can run the memory at is limited to a maximum of 2400 MHz.

So there is nothing wrong with the performance and nothing you can do about it.

DDR4-3200 memory is supported but it will only run at a maximum of 2400 Mhz.

See the Intel memory specifications for your notebook's processor...

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The fastest speed your notebook's i7-7700HQ processor can run the memory at is limited to a maximum of 2400 MHz.

So there is nothing wrong with the performance and nothing you can do about it.

DDR4-3200 memory is supported but it will only run at a maximum of 2400 Mhz.

See the Intel memory specifications for your notebook's processor...

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor

HP Recommended

So the only plus from buying new dice is that they have a density of 16 Gbits instead of 8 Gbits 🙂

Thanks for the help.

Regards

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is correct.

You can always transfer the DDR4-3200 memory to a newer model notebook that can actually run the memory at its fully rated speed.

Always check the processor specs for a notebook you are interested in buying to see what memory speed is supported.

Even some notebooks with the Intel 10th gen processors will only run the memory at 2666 MHz.

HP Recommended

Your answer is very informative. I did not know before that the speed of the ram depends on the processor. It will definitely help other users. I'm not going to change my computer for now. this one manages to do it, although it is over 4 years old. now I will wait for new nvidia gtx 4000 chips and how it will build a stationary system. I needed a laptop because I traveled often. Now my lifestyle is more structured.

Thanks for the answer anyway. Regards

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.