Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
15-dc0508na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hope someone can help. I have a 2018 Omen 15-dc0508na laptop and I have exactly the same issue as the user in https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Omen-15-RGB-keyboard-incorrect... which doesn't appear to have been resolved. Like that user, I set all my keys to white for example, and one of the zones is white, whilst the other 3 (including te ASDW keys, which are a zone themselves) are a pale yellow. I'm finding this really annoying as I really don't like silly RGB colouring and just want all my keys set to white. This worked fine for the first 12 months or so that I had the laptop, it's only in the last 6 months this problem has started. I have no doubt this is a software issue of some sort, perhaps related to a Windows or BIOS update, rather than a hardware problem.

Any help to fix this would be appreciated.

EDIT - just to say before I'm asked to update the BIOS, I'm already on the latest version so that can be ruled out.

EDIT 2  - Just found this thread. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/HP-Omen-15-2018-RGB-Keyboard-light-discoloration/td-p...

That is EXACTLY the issue I have, including the exact same colours and zones when set to white. Clearly a known problem HP hasn't gotten around to fixing.

Simply not acceptable.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

A quote from the thread above, which is absoilutely true. The HP reps on here simply post the same replies, including telling the poster of the first thread I linked above his laptop didn't have backlighting. Absolutely ridiculous.

"I have the same problem, and all HP reps say the same things, like bots looking for keywords in your post instead of actually reading them. The lighting on Omen keyboards is a big problem HP needs to address it, if you still have a warranty take it back so they can replace it. I have been in contact with another Omen owner who was told its a factory defect. Blows my mind this is still happening to people who buy 2020 machines. Fix you shoddy keyboards HP..."

Absolutely. I expect a response to this and a way of fixing my keyboard and will be bumping this thread until I get a satisfactory response.. I paid nearly £1000 for this laptop.

HP Recommended

@Proofpoint 

You can use OCC (Lighting feature) to change color EACH zone. For example

Before

OCC zone.png

After

OCC zone1.png

You simply click to that zone and OCC will display a list of colors for you to change.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Do you people read the posts on here before replying? No disrespect intended and I appreciate the response, but this goes back to what I quoted directly above. I really can't see how you could have possibly read what I posted and looked at the links above then respond with that post. It's clear from what I've posted that I'm aware of how to change the zone colours. That isn't the issue. The issue is that the colours of 3 of the 4 zones are incorrect and don't match what is set, and enough people have also posted about this to show this is a known issue HP haven't been bothered to fix.

Please, read the posts above in full. And go to the links to other threads I've also posted, and look at the photos in those threads.

HP Recommended

Bump.

Surely HP care about such a blatant fault.

HP Recommended

Hey. Well I'm the one who posted the issue. (Edit 2 Link).

It's really frustrating it's been 6 months it's still the exact same for me. Laptop is all good except the keyboard light. The beauty is gone really. Just looks more bad keeping the lights on. 

I have tried literally everything updating widows, BIOS, reinstalling drivers, other apps supporting the command center and what not! 

My laptop is around 1.5 years old. So I though maybe it's with me only. But people owning for 3-4 months and getting the same issue. We don't even know it's an hardware issue or software issue. Not a single clue. 

I'm still here after months searching on Google if anyone got their issue fixed. WORST THING IS HP GUYS GIVING INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO CHANGE COLOR WITHOUT ANY RELEVANCE TO THE POST/QUERY. That's messed up! Helpless 😞

HP Recommended

Same Problem.

All zones except the left most have a yellow-ish tint to it. I bought the laptop Jan 2020.

Been trying to find a solution, no help.

Really disappointed.

HP Omen dc-1069wm

EDIT: But if you only want to set it to white, u can set the left most region to a yellowish white using the advanced colors. It does match it up, but it makes the whole keyboard pale white. You could also set the other 3 regions to a blue which will align the colors, but it dims the keyboard a bit. Regardless, this shouldnt be a problem and it should work as intended.

HP Recommended

@EXO275 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing Omen keyboard lighting wrong color in 3 of 4 zones issue.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you first uninstall the software completely from the control panel > programs 

Next, run the SFC scan. you can refer to this Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Then download the latest Omen Command Center from this Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/omen-command-center/9nqdw009t0t5?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi @Praveen196

First of all -- Thanks for a different response than all the others on the forum.

Now I did take all the steps you have told. Apparently, my BIOS wasnt up-to-date. So I did do that and installed all updates from the HP support assistant. Windows updates are up-to-date.

I have also uninstalled Omen CC, run the sfc procedure, and then reinstalled Omen CC.

While I felt confident that it was something that would help the problem, it didn't do anything. The problem still remains, and 3 out of 4 zones are still yellow-greenish tinted, and do not have the same color.

Is there any other thing I could do to fix it, or is it simply a factory defect?

HP Recommended

@EXO275 

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.