Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-wf0000 (755F7AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello,

I have an Omen laptop 16-wf0057tx that i bought few months ago, yesterday while watching some videos my laptop for some reason turned the display off along with the keyboard and the trackpad.

I tried to start it back on by pressing all the keys and all keybinds that I thought might help, I tried various trackpad gestures to see if anything works but it nothing helped, not a single key was working nor the trackpad gestures.  I tried doing the same with a wireless mouse but that didn’t help either.

A few hours later the laptop started back by itself like nothing happened. And after using it for a while more the same problem happened.

Few things i noticed during this is that:

• the fans stay on, so the laptop is turned on despite the display and keyboard off,
  • if i have anything external connected example a wireless headphone and a video is playing, i am able to pause the video and change the volume of it using the headphone buttons despite nothing being visible on the screen, pitch black,
  • Apart from randomly turning the display and keyboard off by itself, one other way I noticed to trigger this issue is to close the lid off, as the 45° ish angle approaches while closing the lid, the same problem occurs

The various ways I've tried to fix this issue are:

• Updating the drivers through windows update
  • Updating drivers through the Intel and Hp support pages
  • Updating the bios
  • Running power and display troubleshooters
  • Changing the power plan settings
  • Setting the display to never sleep when plugged in
  • Running sfc and dism commands
  • Turning ‘Away mode’ off in power plan
  • Repeating the steps above in safe mode

So far this has been really annoying as it obstructs my work. I welcome any suggestions that might help to fix this issue. Hope to hear something soon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Robdk609,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Based on the symptoms and troubleshooting steps you've already taken, it seems like you're experiencing a hardware issue with your Omen laptop, particularly related to the laptop's display and possibly its lid sensor or hinge mechanism. Since the problem occurs when the lid is moved to a certain angle and affects the display and keyboard but not the operation of the laptop itself (as evidenced by the ability to control playback through an external device), it's likely not a simple software or driver problem.

Here are a few additional suggestions and steps you might consider:

Inspect the Hinge Area: Since the issue is triggered by moving the lid to a certain angle, there might be a problem with the wiring that passes through the hinge from the base to the display. This could involve a loose connection or damaged wires that only lose contact or short-circuit when the lid is moved. Unfortunately, checking this might require disassembling part of the laptop, which should ideally be done by a professional.

External Monitor Test: If you haven't already, try connecting your laptop to an external monitor. If the external monitor works fine even when the laptop's display goes black, this further indicates a problem with the laptop's display or the connection between the display and the motherboard.

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

They can help you with the unit repair or part replacement.

I request you talk to HP Phone Support and they will help you to sort it out as it requires advance support or repair.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @Robdk609,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Based on the symptoms and troubleshooting steps you've already taken, it seems like you're experiencing a hardware issue with your Omen laptop, particularly related to the laptop's display and possibly its lid sensor or hinge mechanism. Since the problem occurs when the lid is moved to a certain angle and affects the display and keyboard but not the operation of the laptop itself (as evidenced by the ability to control playback through an external device), it's likely not a simple software or driver problem.

Here are a few additional suggestions and steps you might consider:

Inspect the Hinge Area: Since the issue is triggered by moving the lid to a certain angle, there might be a problem with the wiring that passes through the hinge from the base to the display. This could involve a loose connection or damaged wires that only lose contact or short-circuit when the lid is moved. Unfortunately, checking this might require disassembling part of the laptop, which should ideally be done by a professional.

External Monitor Test: If you haven't already, try connecting your laptop to an external monitor. If the external monitor works fine even when the laptop's display goes black, this further indicates a problem with the laptop's display or the connection between the display and the motherboard.

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

They can help you with the unit repair or part replacement.

I request you talk to HP Phone Support and they will help you to sort it out as it requires advance support or repair.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, did they help you? I have the same issue and they suggested to reinstall Windows. I will not do that because when I restart it turned off the laptop it deads and not responsive for a couple of hours. Did they repair, refund or replace you laptop?

HP Recommended

Hello Rachel,

Thank you for replying.

Unfortunately I don’t have an external monitor to check the status of the laptop.

I have contacted hp support regarding this issue, they said they’ll be sending a repair technician to hopefully fix the issue .

Regards,

Robdk609

HP Recommended

Hello lp696,

I contacted the HP support line regarding this matter, when they were not able to fix the issue over call they said that they will be sending a repair technician to fix it as it maybe a motherboard issue and it may need to be replaced .

But it’s been a few days since i raised the issue and there haven’t been much updates regarding it since then.

So I’m still waiting.

HP Recommended

Hi @Robdk609,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

To get further updates regarding repair and services, I recommend you contact phone support as we have limited support boundaries in this forum. 

I've sent you a private message with further instructions. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name, or click on this link.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

nice to meet.
I also had the same symptoms.

Not only the hinge angle, but the screen and keyboard die when playing games.
However, it is disconcerting to hear the sound and the fan running.

But before that, did you update the BIOS or graphics card driver?
I doubt it. Conflict between graphics card and BIOS.

When I first purchased a laptop, an update notification popped up within 3 days, and after the update, the graphics card died, so I exchanged the product (1st time) and then there was no update for about 4 months. I have the same symptoms as you after updating with the update notification.

So I reinstalled the graphics driver and did a clean reinstall. As a result, I went to the after-sales service center.

As a result, the motherboard was judged to be defective again.

In Korea, they say repair is impossible because there is no motherboard.
They tell me to wait without an appointment.

I was looking for users experiencing this same situation.

I have a few questions for you.

(1) Have you updated the BIOS and graphics card before the problem occurred?

(2) Are you using a USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt compatible device connected to your laptop?
Example) Thunderbolt dock or USB hub

(3) Do you use the display connected to the Thunderbolt port rather than the HDMI port?

I suspect that there is a conflict between the graphics card's USB 3.0 drive and the motherboard BIOS.

So, I suspect that the same phenomenon as yours occurs when playing a game that uses a lot of graphics card resources.

(The same phenomenon also occurs when editing video)

Please leave a comment.

HP Recommended

I'm facing the same issue with my HP Omen 16 Laptop. Bought it back in December 2023. What's the update at your end ? Were they able to fix it ? Have you been using it after the fix ? Please let me know. thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi, they fixed it. I sent my laptop them and they fixed it for a week. Now it works fine and probably less heated. They didn't provide a report but I called to support and they told me by phone that motherboard was fixed and a sensor was replaced. 

HP Recommended

I have exact HP Omen 16 and similar issues including black screen when starting up Ive managed to resolve the issue which in my case was being caused in OMEN gaming hub with the graphics sent to Hybrid - once i reset to "Discrete " my issue was resolve . Seems graphics driver conflict.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.