Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-BC414NQ
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I really don't know what to do, I'm pulling my hair out from frustration because I literally can't run any GPU-accelerated program in the background. So last year I've purchased an HP Pavilion 15-BC414NQ, I downloaded Windows 10 64bit 1903 from the official MS page with the image tool, put it on USB and installed. There are no problems with the OS, the only problem that I have is after installing the nvidia drivers for GTX 1050, the gpu would almost always crash when leaving something that uses the GPU in the background.

For example, if I leave a game in the taskbar, open up Firefox to browse something, and come back in the game, the game would completely freeze. If I try to access task manager it would be a death wish since it would crash too, I literally can't do anything, shutting down, locking up, putting it to sleep does not work at all, and after waiting for about 30 seconds the Blue Screen will appear with the message "DRIVE_POWER_STATE_FAILURE", before restarting the laptop automatically.

I have tried everything, reinstalling Windows 10 two times, complete reinstall of nvidia and Intel HD drivers, disabling Link State Power Management in the power options, checked the ISO, used different USB drives for installation, I've used the nvidia drivers from the official HP page for the BC414NQ and the official nvidia page, none made a difference. There was, however, one fix, in Windows 10 1903 update, in the nvidia control panel > manage 3D settings, I could choose for the "Preferred graphics processor" to "High-Performance NVIDIA processor" in the global settings, and the crashing would no longer happen, but after being forced to update to windows 10 2004, the control panel now says "windows manages selection of graphics processor", so now the BSoD is back.

So from my understanding, it would seem that the nvidia gpu or driver goes to sleep when unused in the background, then, after going back into the 3D-accelerated program, the driver or windows will try to wake it up, but it can't, so windows doesn't know what to do and it simply shuts down.

I don't know what to do, I'm stuck like this, I can't use Photoshop, I can't use Blender 3D, Unreal Engine, I have to do browse the web or do everything else on my phone, because of this risk of crashing and losing all my work. Who is at fault at this? Microsoft? HP? Nvidia? I would gladly appreciate any kind of help or tip on how to prevent this sort of stuff.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Bersoaly4

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Since you have already tried most of the troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue. Let's try the HP System Diagnostics UEFI or HP UEFI Support Environment downloads provide more advanced
Diagnostic tests, which can be installed to a USB key. Go to your product Software & Drivers
download page to obtain: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

To launch the UEFI diagnostics, select the f2 function key when booting up the system.
Note: The diagnostics may be aborted at any time by pressing the Esc key.
Additional information can be found at the following URL:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01443317&jumpi...

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello , thank you for taking interest in my problem. I did what you asked, I've installed HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI from the product downloads page at https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-bc400-notebook-pc-series/20913084/mo... I used F2 during boot and managed to launch the utility. I've tried a bunch of tests, none of them showed any issues. Now recently I've been hit once again by the BSoD, here's a dump of it, hope it will help. Also, when using BlueScreenView, it seems that ntoskrnl.exe is always marked in red, in every .dmp.

Here's a link to the OneDrive folder containing the files:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoWGDvSzATPFd98LgxvaLoON2sY?e=9gBBUz

HP Recommended

@Bersoaly4

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. Since you have already tried most of the troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue,
I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows)You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ummm....I already said in the original post that I have performed two separate reinstalls of Windows 10 AND complete reinstall of the Intel HD graphics and Nvidia Graphics drivers. I've used Display Driver Uninstaller to get rid of those two, leaving only the generic video driver provided by microsoft. I reinstalled both the drivers from their official page since the HP one for my laptop doesn't have the ones for windows 10 2004 update. On the nvidia page it didn't matter if I picked Geforce 10 Series (Notebooks) > GTX 1050 or Geforce 10 Series > GTX 1050, both suffer the same issue. The problem consists of the nvidia drivers, if I don't have them install, the BSoD will never appear, as there is no GPU to cause the issue, the Intel HD one works fine.

HP Recommended

@Bersoaly4

Thank you for posting back. 

Since you have already tried most of the troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue,
I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:
www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.