Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-ax250wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is Kingston Fury SODIMM DDR4-2666 32768MB PC4-21300 (Kit of 2x16384) Impact Black (KF426S16IBK2/32) compatible with HP 15-ax250wm?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @boooble 

Generally, since you can't make any memory timing adjustments in your notebook's BIOS, it is best to buy memory that has the standard timing speeds for the memory speed.

KF426S16IBK2_32 (kingston.com)

As you can see from the timing specs, the Kingston gaming memory's timing is  CL 16-18-18

A standard DDR4-2666 MHz memory bar will have timing specs of CL 19-19-19

Your notebook has standard DDR4-2400 memory with CL 17-17-17 timing specs.

Your notebook's  i7-7700HQ processor can only run the memory at a max speed of 2400 MHz, so a standard DDR4-2666 memory bar will work fine, but only at 2400 MHz, and the timing will adjust to CL17.

I recommend that you play it safe and buy standard timing DDR4-2400 or DDR4-2666 MHz memory.

I believe your notebook will support 2 x 16 GB of memory, but both chapter 1 of the service manual and the crucial memory report indicate the max is 2 x 8 GB.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp omen 15 | HP OMEN 15-ax250wm | Crucial.com

OMEN by HP Laptop PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP author...

I also suggest you do the following to determine how much memory your notebook can support...

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator. This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacity and hit enter. There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@boooble 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05609719

It has  12 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB) now, you can upgrade to 16GB by remove its 4GB and add same existing 8GB to it.

You can install 2666MHz RAM but machine won't run at 2666MHz.

My opinion: its has 12GB now and move to 16GB (max) is not a good move.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, @boooble 

Generally, since you can't make any memory timing adjustments in your notebook's BIOS, it is best to buy memory that has the standard timing speeds for the memory speed.

KF426S16IBK2_32 (kingston.com)

As you can see from the timing specs, the Kingston gaming memory's timing is  CL 16-18-18

A standard DDR4-2666 MHz memory bar will have timing specs of CL 19-19-19

Your notebook has standard DDR4-2400 memory with CL 17-17-17 timing specs.

Your notebook's  i7-7700HQ processor can only run the memory at a max speed of 2400 MHz, so a standard DDR4-2666 memory bar will work fine, but only at 2400 MHz, and the timing will adjust to CL17.

I recommend that you play it safe and buy standard timing DDR4-2400 or DDR4-2666 MHz memory.

I believe your notebook will support 2 x 16 GB of memory, but both chapter 1 of the service manual and the crucial memory report indicate the max is 2 x 8 GB.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp omen 15 | HP OMEN 15-ax250wm | Crucial.com

OMEN by HP Laptop PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP author...

I also suggest you do the following to determine how much memory your notebook can support...

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator. This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacity and hit enter. There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

HP Recommended

Thank you for quick and extended answer. By the way I checked in the command prompt and after I divided I got 32. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.