Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I recently updated my BIOS because the HP Support Assistant said it's recommended.

Here's the problem, after I updated the BIOS my laptop keeps shutting down randomly. This occurs only when I run a game. This never happened before I update the BIOS.

Thanks for your time. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A new BIOS was released to the FTP site today.  Try installing it to resolve the shutdown issue.

CVA info - https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp108501-109000/sp108789.cva

Download - https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp108501-109000/sp108789.exe

-wes

edit - I asked the mods to mark as a solution to bring more visibility to my post.

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

204 REPLIES 204
HP Recommended

Hello @DaneWaas 

It helps us if you post the Product number of your system so we know exactly what you have.
Press Control/Alt/S for the information menu in windows
Or
Go to the Start menu and scroll to H/HP Help and Support/HP Support Assistant.
Open the program and click on your computer in the list.

Is this an AMD System? Which bios version did you install?

HP Recommended

@Photoray002 I am not OP but I have the exact same problem and the same laptop series. Yes it's an AMD system. I updated BIOS as recommended by HP Support Assistant (version F.05 to F.08) and now I have this problem. I have tried recovering BIOS (Win key + B + power), but this shutting down problem persists—since it didn't downgrade BIOS, I'd guess.

HP Recommended

@flairue 

Hmm, I'm not sure whats going on at this point. I can offer this....

With Windows off, press the  power button and rapidly tap F10 until the bios opens (before Windows opens).

The bios version is there. ALSO while there, reset the bios to Default, Save and Exit.

What version is it saying is installed?

Sometimes there is a slight chance reinstalling Windows might help also. If you do, make sure the bios is in UEFI Mode first, not Legacy. Turn off Secure Boot also.

NOTE: Messing with the bios at this point has a tiny chance of bricking the system if it fails. Just have to put that out there so you know.  Before you go any further, I recommend you copy any important data you want, over to an external drive for safety.

If its F.08 still, I would try downloading the previous F.05 and run it via the USB method (assuming you are still under warranty).

F.05 -  sp101205.exe

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00007682

But if that doesn't work, you will want to contact HP Support for a warranty claim.  If you have to send it in for warranty, you will probably want to wipe Windows and reinstall anyways, just to keep your data private.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for replying

My BIOS version is F.08 and yes it's an AMD system.

EDIT: My product number is: 8PD39PA#AR6 and it's a pavilion gaming 15-ec0xxx

The problem occurs only when I try to play a heavy game such as GTA 5 and Rainbow Six Siege. It will run 10-20 minutes of gameplay and after that laptop died. This was never happened before I updated my BIOS to F.08.

I've tried the recovery method but it doesn't help at all.

HP Recommended

@DaneWaas 

OK thanks.

I highly suggest you go ahead and just contact HP Support for warranty issues. You could try forcing the bios to install the previous version like I explained to flairue, but I have a feeling you're going to end up doing a warranty issue anyways now.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact/laptops

HP Recommended

I'll just bring it to the nearby service center for now.

Thank you for your solution.

HP Recommended

@DaneWaas  and  @flairue 

Would you both mind coming back and tell us what Support ends up doing to fix it? We would appreciate it.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I've contacted HP Support via their Whatsapp, but all the agent said was that they would discuss the issue with the technical team or something. I contacted them near the end of work hours so I guess I'll have to wait at least until tomorrow for any update. I'll let you know if there's a solution @Photoray002.

HP Recommended

@flairue 

did you originally write that it was giving an error in the Event Viewer...  The system was hibernated due to a critical thermal event. ?

According to other reports from some other forums for other MFG's systems, either a bios update had to fix it or a motherboard replacement was in order.

Edited to add:

Download a tool to monitor your systems temperatures. HWMonitor is a good one if you dont have a preference.

Watch your temps, especially the CPU. If its heating up, the system will shut down. If its average temp reaches the high 90's or more, it will throttle. The TDP I believe is 105c (the max temp, it will shut down at that temp).

It might be getting HOT after that bios update. so monitor the temps.

I'll offer a suggestion as a work around if its not getting overheated and just falsely thinking it is.. May or may not help.

Open the Command Prompt as admin (type CMD in the Search bar and choose admin).

Type or copy/paste this command...

powercfg –h off

Press the Enter key, then type exit, hit Enter and type exit again, hit Enter to exit out of the CMD.

This disables Hibernate.

powercfg –h on will enable it again.

Let me know if that helps or not.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.