Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I think if you disable sleep timer and remember to always shut down your laptop, you should be OK. No need to unplug your miniDisplayPort cable. I got the same cable from amazon. It's the sleep/wake cycle that disables the WiFi/BT, not shut down.

I've gotten used to leaving my computers and let them just go to sleep since that's the most convenient for me to do, just walking away. But, consider this bug a call to conserve energy :). If you think you'll be away for more than say 30 minutes, shut down your laptop. It also make the fan assembly last longer. The laptop is really fast so booting only takes seconds.

HP Recommended

I just connected my omen 015 (2 months old) to displayport at my new desk, and now any time I shut down and start back up, my wifi fails.  I have to unplug, shut down, then start up again in order to have the wifi work.

This is pretty poor.  All drivers and everything are updated, and sleep is not an issue for me.  HP needs to fix this.

HP Recommended

Hi, I'm finding a few different threads, with some of the same people having the same issue. I wanted to make sure I am following the same threads as I have the same problem with my HP Omen 15t-en000 laptop.  I've been having the same issue where using a 2nd monitor that is connected with the mini displayport causes the computer to lose wifi/bluetooth when it wakes from sleep. To bring the wifi/bluetooth back I find that holding down the power button for 20 seconds helps. After reading these threads and learning that the display port seems to be the cause, I am now using the usb-c and the hdmi for my external monitors and haven't lost wifi yet. But this doesn't solve the issue of the display port causing the wifi/bluetooth to disappear when used with a 2nd monitor. I'm hoping more support can be given to this issue. 

HP Recommended

So if you are already able to use two external monitors, one on HDMI, and one on USB-C, what are you still complaining about? 😉

I've been thinking whether to get a USB-C to dual displayPort adapter which is expensive. Then I realize it's NOT MY FAULT that the mini displayPort doesn't work as it should. I doubt this will ever be resolved.

HP Recommended

The main reason why I purchased the laptop was for the 3 external monitor potential. I am used to using 4 monitors for my work set up, (or 2 external monitors along with a drawing tablet) so the 3 monitor adapter options were a big selling point. I realize not everyone needs that many monitors, but I've come to rely on that setup. Plus some devices require a display port to function. So having it be a conflicting factor for wifi is a bit annoying. I'd be interested to know if that dual usb c monitor setup works though. Good luck!

HP Recommended

I see so you're an artist. I tried my best to test a Dell WD19 USB-C dock on the HP. The result is great:

1. Laptop display off
2. LG 27" gaming display on DP1 of Dell dock 1080p @ 144Hz
3. XP-PEN 24" drawing tablet on USB-C with DP logo of Dell dock at 1440p @ 60Hz
4. LG 24" display on laptop HDMI port 1080p @ 75Hz (doesn't work on Dell dock HDMI because manual says HDMI and USB-C with DP logo are toggled so only one works)
5. XP-PEN 24" drawing tablet on DP2 of Dell dock 1080p @ 60Hz

These are the highest resolutions and refresh rated of each display and all displays 2-5 are driven by nvidia's card. Only the laptop display that is turned off is on the integrated amd card. After some reading on wiki regarding displayPort, I realized that the interface can be daisy-chained to connect to many displays, maybe up to 4 because the number of independent lanes? So essentially all of the displayPorts are just driven by a single video card. I'll have to test the sleep issue but fearing that is going to cut my internet, I'm posting what I found now. The dock isn't cheap, at $250.

HP Recommended

I also tempted to turn on the laptop display and it worked! 1080p @ 144Hz driven by AMD.

AND waking after sleeping doesn't knock out wifi or bt, great!👏

I am suspecting the design of the miniDisplayPort is flawed. That's the only reason I can think of that keeps HP quiet about this because it's hardware. Once it's shipped, there's no fix. I doubt they would offer their USB-C dock to us for free 😄

So for you, I think you need a USB-C dock that has at least one displayPort (for your displayPort only device) and one USB-C with displayPort (replicate the HP USB-C port you lose by connecting a dock to it). Then you can still drive an HDMI display at high specs with HP's own HDMI port, which I suspect is using one of the displayPort V1.4 data lanes. If you get a dock with an extra HDMI port, that would be best so you only have this one cable to connect and disconnect if you take your laptop off your desk.

HP Recommended

Hi, Thanks for the suggestions. And sorry for the slow reply. I would prefer this thread to be kept open, since the display port issue hasn't been actually solved for the HP Omen laptop. I do still like my laptop because I can run 3 external monitors plus my xp pen tablet (essentially 4 external displays)...however, I have to do this through using a usb-c triple monitor hub (that has 2 hdmi ports), plus an hdmi to mini display port adapter. This doesn't solve the display port issue, but my real need was to have the extra monitors.  I'll explain some of the testing and how I have this working.

What I have found is that as long as I am connecting all monitors via an hdmi connection, they will work, and I won't lose internet/bluetooth.

The problem that I was having is that when I connect directly from my Samsung S34J55x ultra wide's display port connection to my laptops mini display port, the wireless and bluetooth would be lost once the computer went to sleep, it would wake with the bluetooth and wireless adapters showing as "not connected". Holding down the power button for about 30 seconds would bring it back.

Using the usb-c hub I can connect two monitors via HDMI, a third monitor via the laptops HDMI port. A 4th monitor or tablet can be connected via an HDMI to mini display port adapter. Even connecting the Samsung S34J55x Ultra wide via an HDMI cable into the hdmi to mini display port adapter didn't cause the wireless or bluetooth to be lost. Based on this test, it seems that as long as a display port signal isn't going to the laptop, then the wireless and bluetooth aren't affected. I don't know enough  about the internal workings of computers to explain why this happens. 

This setup has a couple of problems though. The usb-c hub takes up the usb-c port. The hub does have a usb-c port, but for whatever reason, it cannot power a monitor if I connect it with an HDMI to usb-c cable. I also tried to connect my Samsung ultra wide with a display port connection into the usb-c hubs display port connection, which resulted in my computer acting erratic and quickly going to a Window's blue screen with a sideways sad face and the text "Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.

So just utilizing HDMI ports seems to make running mulitple monitors and devices possible. However, this does not solve the display port issue. But it is a workaround for those that just need to have multiple monitors and not rely on the display port. 

HP Recommended

Thank you, this was driving me mad. After countless hours chatting with support agents, and one very unsatisfying warranty service, I narrowed this down to some combination of laptop sleep + mini DisplayPort. A search turned up this thread. I am so relieved to have narrowed this down, and thankful to everyone who has shared in here.

• HP OMEN 15-en0036nr
  • Samsung SJ55W 34" Ultra WQHD Monitor
HP Recommended

I have the same problem on my HP Omen 15 en-0013dx running, hooking up to a 24inch 144hz screen (MSI optix 24) via miniDp.

After wake from sleep, wifi and Bluetooth are disabled.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.