Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP PAVILION 15-bc504tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I just cloned my HDD to SSD. now when I entered BIOS settings during startup, It doesn't show my WD blue 500 gb SSD in boot option.

Request your help to fix it and boot through SSD.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

But your SSD aleady has Windows on it, so there is no need to reinstall Windows on the SSD.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

Temporarily disconnect your notebook's 2.5" drive and see if it will boot from the SSD.

Did you buy a SATA or NVMe SSD?   According to chapter 1, page 8 of the manual, the M.2 slot supports both.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion Notebook PC

HP Recommended

Hi...I have bought WD SN550 500gb NVMe.

Please guide how to disconnect 2.5" HDD from notebook?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Consult the service manual I posted for the procedure.

See if you can just disconnect the drive cable from the drive.

HP Recommended

Hi...

I just disconnected the HDD and it booted on SSD super fast....

Thanks a lot!

But how can I keep this settings permanently as I want to keep my HDD as storage space.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you look back in chapter 1, page 8 it only shows the supported dual drive configurations as SATA M.2 SSD's + the 2.5" drives.

So the only suggestion I can offer, would be to connect your 2.5" drive back up and remove Windows from the 2.5" drive and see if the PC will boot from the SSD.

You can do this by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Boot from the media and when you get to the part of the installation that asks, 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space.

Make sure you do this to the correct drive, and not your SSD!

Then see if the PC will boot from the SSD and you can format the unallocated space on your 2.5" drive using the disk management utility in Windows.

If that doesn't work then NVMe + 2.5" drive configurations are not supported.

HP Recommended

So I will just delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space.

Then should I finish the installation or just start again and boot from SSD?

This might feel like a stupid question as I am new to this configurations.

HP Recommended

Yes, delete every partition on the drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space.

Do not continue beyond that point.

At that point, shut down the PC, and remove the installation media.  

Then see if the PC will boot from the SSD and allow you to format the 2.5" drive using the Windows disk management tool, so you can use it for storage.

HP Recommended

I deleted the partitions and now its showing "your pc needs to be repaired" with error code : 0xc000000e.

now what to do?

HP Recommended

I guess you can only run the PC off the NVMe drive.

You can either remove the drive or just leave the cable disconnected.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.