Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Noticed about a week ago that several keys on my keyboard no longer function at all. The backlight on the keyboard still works for every key but no keypress is registered for specific ones. Right now the affected keys are N, I, K, 8, =, F4, End, and the up arrow key. I restarted several times, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers with no effects, and tried the startup diagnostic tool which confirmed that the laptop is not receiving any signal from those keys at all - test failed with the codes 0K74XD-934A65-MFPW3A-G5H303. No amount of spamming the keys or pressing them harder than normal makes a difference. I'm at a loss for what to do as this seems to be a hardware failure not caused by an OS update/glitch or bad drivers.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@nick-knacks Did you check if the issue occurs on an external keyboard?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

I recommend you attempt the below steps to identify the cause of the failure and resolve it accordingly:

• Try changing the keyboard layout/language and check if it works: Click here for steps.
  • Clean the keyboard with compressed air (blow compressed air in the gaps between keys). This removes some lint and dust. 
  • Shut down the laptop, remove the battery and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds
  • Replace the battery, restart the notebook,
  • if the issue persists, perform an interactive hardware test on the keyboard using the steps mentioned on this link: Click here (look under "Running Component Tests > Keyboard test").

If the test fails, you can find the part number on the HP Parts Surfer & replace the parts on the HP Parts Store.

Or I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle_Decipher,

As mentioned in my original post I made it to the interactive hardware test which did indeed return an error code. As my laptop is out of the warranty period I have already purchased a replacement keyboard but I would like to know the cause of this hardware failure. Seems to me several other people have experienced a similar problem. 

HP Recommended

@nick-knacks I wasn't able to decipher the code the last time, I thought it isn't correct, hence I suggested you to redo it, however, miraculously it worked this time around and it confirms a hardware malfunction, since the device is out of warranty, If you have an HP authorized service center near by, you should be able to take it to them and have it checked,

Here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: Click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.