Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
15-dc1030nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So one issue I have had with my 15-dc1030nr Omen is that the minute I start a game up the fans kick in to overdrive and the CPU heats up to 90+ degrees Celsius. I did a lot of research into ways to fix this and stumbled upon a very helpful Youtube comment that fixed all my problems with very little effort on my part. 

Turns out the issue is Intels Turbo boost tech. This dynamic overclocking was kicking in almost immediately the second anything even remotely stressful on the system started. So I followed these steps to disable turbo boost and the fan volume was almost non-existent, at the loudest maybe half the volume it used to be and my core temperature went from 90+ to an average of 65 after an hour of gaming. Obviously you're going to slightly lower your CPU performance due to no turbo boost but i'll sacrifice a frame or two to keep my computer from melting. I hope this helps. 

Using Registry Editor, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet \Control Power\PowerSettings 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 be337238-0d82-4146-a960-4f3749d470c7 and select Attributes. Set the value of "Attributes"=dword:00000002. After that, go back in the Power Plan Options and a new option "Processor performance boost mode" will appear. Set it to Disable and click Apply. Your CPU now runs on the stock frequency.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello
Normally, in "normal" use, even if we play, the pc should not "melt ...
The process is also indicated for 100 ° max:
https://www.intel.fr/content/www/fr/fr/products/processors/core/i7-processors/i7-8750h.html

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I was exaggerating by saying it would "melt" but after literally 15 minutes of playing Metro Exodus with RTX on and graphics at Max, even the keyboard was getting too hot to handle. Currently the noise that the machine outputs is very minimal so that it doesn't disturb the entire house like it did before and the heat has decreased drastically. There is very little if any noticeable performance change. 

This is exactly the kind of solution I was looking for so I'd imagine there are more "me's" out there that could benefit from this. 

HP Recommended

Yes, it is a good thing to share this solution.
But it is for me a question of point of view ..
It is not normal, to be forced to modify anything.
I did not check if the pc is capable or not to run this game to the max.
But if he has to be able to manage this type of game, what should be asked is why the pc is too hot.
If this is a design problem, you should prevent after-sales service!
It does not make sense to be forced to lower performance in order to use your computer

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I 1000% agree with you here. It's not normal to have to lower the specs for performance but in the case of these Omen laptops, especially with these i7 8750h processors it seems to be a pretty common complaint about how dangerously hot these machines get. 100 degrees might be what they are capable of handling but I'm not comfortable with pushing it even close to that breaking point. 

I opened up an empty scene in the unreal editor and placed a few ray traced lights and the heat that it generated was immense. I had to keep shutting the lights off whenever I needed to switch applications or do anything outside the editor to cool everything down. Ray Tracing is a feature on these machines. I should be able to use that feature comfortably.   

HP Recommended

I told the HP techs that the Omen software - eg OCC - was not reading the CPU temperature correctly over a year ago.  All the ones that I have talked to / been in e-mail communication with have not had the intelligence to grasp the problem, sadly.

The fan on my laptop comes on almost straight away even though the CPU temperature is only 40 degrees C (BTW OCC thinks it is 70 degrees C - ALL THE TIME, no matter what the system load is, even if the CPU is over 70!!!!!).  This is not a hardware problem - I have used other software to read the CPU temperature and I can see the temperature change with system load).

I currently see no reason to pay the premium associated with the HP Omen laptops especially when you take into account the support that you get.

So the lesson is - be careful running these Omens hard in case the cooling system lets you down because the HP underlying software is buggy - it may let you down  in a big way 😭

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.