Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-dc0024nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everybody!
I'm here to write a serious issue I faced.
Some days ago I started hearing a "crack" from my laptop case and I realised that there was something swollen.
The only thing that can cause this is... The battery.
I opened the case and here it's the swollen battery.
I freaked out because HP Support Assistant has never warned about a battery issue. I ran a Battery test and the battery below has just 465/1000 charge cycles.
Fun fact: battery life was about 2.5 hours and that was a normal behavior. This happens after 2.5 years of using this laptop and the crazy thing is that I can't find ANYWHERE an original replacement. 
I'm very mad at this because I'm not the only HP user who faced this and I can't see any solution (I read a lot of posts on this HP community and I'm pretty shocked how common is this issue). I work with this PC and I can't keep my laptop plugged in all the time, this affects my work.
So what should I do now? 
photo_2022-06-26_18-42-44 (2).jpgphoto_2022-06-26_18-42-44 (3).jpgphoto_2022-06-26_18-42-44.jpg

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hello @Francesca5 

I want to know the product number (p/n) of your laptop, to dive a little deeper into this problem and to help you find the right battery.

Please open powershell console and send me output of the following command:

Get-WmiObject win32_computersystem | Select-Object SystemSKUNumber

HP Recommended

The output is:

SystemSKUNumber
---------------
4PK03EA#ABZ

HP Recommended

@Francesca5 

Please read the following document first

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4158581-4158704-16

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello @Francesca5 

You can buy a replacement battery for your Notebook.

Your current Specification:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-15-dc0000-laptop-pc-series/20329817/model/22863998/d...

Battery type
4-cell, 70 Wh Li-ion

HP Spare Part Number

L08855-856

Compatible HP Part Numbers
  • 917678-171
  • 917678-172
  • 917678-271
  • HSTNN-IB8L
  • L08855-856
  • L08934-2B2
  • L08934-2C1
  • SR03052XL-PL
  • SR04070XL

Search and find the battery with the HP part number online ( alibaba, aliexpress, ebay or amazon, ... )

For example:

! Buy the 4-cell variant !

Battery type
4-cell, 70 Wh Li-ion

https://www.laptopbatterydirect.net/hp/hp-omen-15-dc0024nl-battery.htm

HP Recommended

Hello @Banhien , I read the suggested document and OF COURSE I'm not using a swollen battery, I would use it if I wanted to explode. I've followed carefully all the tips for saving battery life.
I clicked on HP Customer Service and in Italy (my country) there are just 2 support options: "Ask the community" (And you're not helping me at all) and Phone support, which is a paid service and in my opinion it's more useful talking here, writing down the exact issue. Additionally I would like to say the Phone support once told me that if I have had any battery issues, I would have bought it by myself because it's a simple operation.
I'm not asking anything odd, I just want to buy an original replacement.

HP Recommended

Thanks @Ub6424.
Correct, that's  my laptop model.

L08855-856 seems to be a 3-cell battery, does it work?
Will I have any problem even if on my previous HP battery there's the number 917724-855?
Here it's the photo of my battery:

BATTERY.jpg

HP Recommended

Hello @Francesca5 

both will work, the 4-cell variant has more capacity and therefore lasts longer in operation when you work with the notebook.

HP Recommended

Hello @Ub6424 ,
Thanks for all your information. I'm currently searching for a replacement and I need time because I can't see original HP batteries, just compatible products and this needs more attention because I trust just in original products.

HP Recommended

Hello @Francesca5 

@Francesca5 wrote:

Hello @Ub6424 ,
Thanks for all your information. I'm currently searching for a replacement and I need time because I can't see original HP batteries, just compatible products and this needs more attention because I trust just in original products.

In most cases the replacement battery will fit and work fine. How can you trust your original hp battery, when the battery itself is swollen ? Every battery is dangerous. And even HP is supplied by various third-party suppliers with different quality, which few people know.

Well, do not panic, if you work with "any" battery balanced ( that's the key ! ), it should work for a long time 😊

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.