Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 17 an101na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since last week, my i7 Omen needs two boots to start.  I press the start button and power comes on, Omen sign displayed on the screen, then after about 2 seconds, it powers-off.  I press the power button again and it works fine.

I wanted to check the BIOS settings, but ESC, F2 and F10 don't get me in so if it's a BIOS setting then you'll have to remind me how to get in, because I've forgotten.

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Actually, I have now fixed it.

The clue was in the 'at about the time of the latest Windows 10 update'.  I unchecked the fast boot option and the laptop boots fine.  The fast boot was looking for a file that had been replaced in the update and wasn't finding so was restarting in non-fast mode.

'Smug mode', 😉

Wildswan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Update: I got into the BIOS and can see nothing that could be causing this or that has changed.

Nobody else had this problem?

HP Recommended

@wildswan

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please update the BIOS and Chipset driver

You can download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers, BIOS, Firmware for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Keep me posted

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.can 

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have checked the status of the BIOS (which was updated not long after the last update was issued) and chipset drivers both on the website and using the Support Assistant and everything is up-to-date.

Although, I understand that you should always ensure that the drivers ate up-to-date, I don't see why this would stop the laptop booting the first time that I press the power button.

Have you fixed this problem before, or was that just a shot in the dark?

HP Recommended

Similar issue on different Models have been fixed by the BIOS update. ☺️

Does this occur from both battery and AC power?

Does this happen when the computer is in Sleep / Hibernation Mode or when you are powering ON the Notebook fresh?

Also let me know if you had this issue before the latest BIOS update happened

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK, answers to questions - 

Does this occur from both battery and AC power?

Definitely on AC power.  I haven't tried on battery power.

Does this happen when the computer is in Sleep / Hibernation Mode or when you are powering ON the Notebook fresh?

The laptop has been shutdown, so powering on fresh.

Also let me know if you had this issue before the latest BIOS update happened

The latest BIOS update was Dec 2019 and I did it in Jan 2020, but the problem appear in the last two weeks.

It may be since the latest Windows update, but I am not sure.  It doesn't get very far into booking to Windows if at all.

Checking the system log for errors, there is this from this morning when I turned on the laptop and it shutdown straight away, before it started properly the second time (I hadn't notice this before)- 

Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC0000001.

HP Recommended

@wildswan Thanks for the details, here's all you need to know about the error:

The 0xc0000001 error can be caused by a wide variety of causes, with the most common one being system file corruption, or damaged memory. Alternatively, this error can also be caused by a missing or damaged SAM(Security Account Manager) system file.

Causes of this Error

This error has been known to occur as a result of one or more of the following:

Cause 1: SAM file is damaged

The SAM(Security Accounts Manager) file stores the user credentials data and is essential to Windows booting process. If that file is missing or corrupt, then the boot process is halted.

Cause 2: System files are damaged

Sometimes, this error may occur when the key boot-related system files become damaged because of disk write error, power outages or virus attacks.

Cause 3: File system integrity compromised

Alternatively, this error appears when the whole file system gets damaged on a grander scale for the same reasons.

Cause 4: RAM is damaged

In the worst case scenario, the PC’s memory could be permanently damaged.

To confirm, exactly what's wrong, let's perform an extensive hardware test:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Actually, I have now fixed it.

The clue was in the 'at about the time of the latest Windows 10 update'.  I unchecked the fast boot option and the laptop boots fine.  The fast boot was looking for a file that had been replaced in the update and wasn't finding so was restarting in non-fast mode.

'Smug mode', 😉

Wildswan

HP Recommended

@wildswan That's awesome, I'm glad you've fixed it,

Take care and have a good day.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.