Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-dc0020np
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (transfer data up to 5 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge), this is the description of the port.

It never worked, i have a Samsung Portable SSD and an audio interface, both have USB type C ports but when connected with the OMEN USB-C port nothing happens. I've tried every solution i've found here in similar posts like turning off the computer and pressing the power button for 5, 30 and 60 seconds; i've turn off the check box about usb controllers turning off to save power; updating drivers, this is really annoying! 

And all other usb ports work fine, just like the SSD and the audio interface, the cable i'm using is new and came with the SSD.

So please any suggestion would be helpful. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

"Okay just to be clear, by backup you mean just copying all the data to somewhere else, but that Windows is going to be wiped. All the programs installed will be gone right? "

Yes.

"I've cloned my Windows recently just to avoid reinstalling every program i have, which are many, and leads me again to the warranty issue. I can't tell HP to NOT restore my computer? It's certainly not my fault the port isn't working."

I think you're misunderstanding what I said.  If you are concerned about your privacy being compromised, back up (or clone) your data to a different location. That can be your clone on another drive, or a backup on another drive or the cloud. Then you can clean reinstall Windows before its sent away.

If You are not concerned with that, by all means leave it as it is. Its you're call.

It was just a suggestion to cover all the bases here. 😉

If you send it in and don't want HP to wipe the drive and they deem it necessary, they might not be able to help you. ERGO why I suggest you backup-backup-backup. 😉

"Had an idea, what if i install Ubuntu or something like a USB and see if the port works like that, should it work as a test?"

That is up to you. Booting from a live USB drive wont hurt anything.

Note:  in case you do wipe the main drive and install Linux and send it in to HP for warranty, it needs Windows back on it before you send it out. I assume you know that already, just giving a heads up.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@IneedHELP__ 

@IneedHELP__ wrote:

1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (transfer data up to 5 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge), this is the description of the port.

It never worked,

It never worked out of the box?  Am I to assume you are out of warranty now and never contacted HP Support when you were?

Considering you have been through the Device Manager and done every update and such possible, sounds like its a bad port which means it could be a solder joint issue or other physical problem. In such case, there wouldn't be anything anyone can do on a forum. You need to have it repaired.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

HP Recommended

Yes never worked out of the box, but i actually forgot about it.

I still have some months of warranty, but i wanted to try everything to avoid that because i don't really trust my computer in someone elses hands, heard many storys of computers that come back worst than before.

But i came to the same conclusion, it has to be a bad port or the solution is somewhat related to some configuration that i can't access.But since i read that some people actually got their bad ports to work was just trying my luck. 

HP Recommended

I can totally understand that. But I will say not to hesitate with the warranty. Do it now, not before the warranty is one week from ending. If its still not fixed when you get it back and its out of warranty, you will have more problems getting it fixed by then. 

If you are concerned about privacy and your info on the drive, I can understand that also. In such case, take the time to back everything up somewhere else first. Then you can clean install Windows before sending it in. This will remove any personal data before it goes into a strangers hands.

The up side of all that is.... if its a setting that skewed the port, a new install will clear that up too and you wont need to send it in. 😉

Let me know if you need assistance with that. 🙂

HP Recommended

Okay just to be clear, by backup you mean just copying all the data to somewhere else, but that Windows is going to be wiped. All the programs installed will be gone right? 

I've cloned my Windows recently just to avoid reinstalling every program i have, which are many, and leads me again to the warranty issue. I can't tell HP to NOT restore my computer? It's certainly not my fault the port isn't working.

Thank you for answering.

EDIT: Had an idea, what if i instal ubuntu or something like that in a usb and see if the port works like that, should it work as a test?

HP Recommended

"Okay just to be clear, by backup you mean just copying all the data to somewhere else, but that Windows is going to be wiped. All the programs installed will be gone right? "

Yes.

"I've cloned my Windows recently just to avoid reinstalling every program i have, which are many, and leads me again to the warranty issue. I can't tell HP to NOT restore my computer? It's certainly not my fault the port isn't working."

I think you're misunderstanding what I said.  If you are concerned about your privacy being compromised, back up (or clone) your data to a different location. That can be your clone on another drive, or a backup on another drive or the cloud. Then you can clean reinstall Windows before its sent away.

If You are not concerned with that, by all means leave it as it is. Its you're call.

It was just a suggestion to cover all the bases here. 😉

If you send it in and don't want HP to wipe the drive and they deem it necessary, they might not be able to help you. ERGO why I suggest you backup-backup-backup. 😉

"Had an idea, what if i install Ubuntu or something like a USB and see if the port works like that, should it work as a test?"

That is up to you. Booting from a live USB drive wont hurt anything.

Note:  in case you do wipe the main drive and install Linux and send it in to HP for warranty, it needs Windows back on it before you send it out. I assume you know that already, just giving a heads up.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tips man.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.