Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I think there is a misunderstanding between customers and support and that's why word does not get through.

I imagine there is some kind of list of problems and protocols each level of support have to follow to solve the issues and lessen the work load on higher level support and developers. This is an extremely poor way of handling customers and there's no way to solve problems that are outside the boundaries of the set of rules.

Let's take an example: Ethernet does not work, device manager complains about driver.

Course of action chain: reinstall drivers -> reinstall windows -> replace faulty hardware -> there must be a compatibility issue between Windows and the ethernet controller so HP cannot help, you should contact Microsoft or Realtek -> close the issue

The support has no way to realize that it's not the fault of Realtek or Microsoft but the fault of HP BIOS (heck, even developers would say it's bs, without looking into it), so the issue gets closed.

Now about AMD-V extension (which is enabled by default). As unfortunate as it is virtualization and virtual machines became a catch phrase for which HP automatically denies support without understanding that it has nothing to do with running Windows as a guest OS in VirtualBox, VMware or whatever. Technology improves and now even basic dev tools and other software are using this (btw 15 years old) extension. Why? Because every CPU and every chipset supports it. It is an essential part of a working system.

The biggest problem and what I'm the mostly concerned about is that if indeed the BIOS has a bug when performing I/O or memory virtualization, then it can cause any kind of unexpected issue, anytime. Ethernet controller is one thing, random BSODs another, but what happens if after the next Windows update the computer won't even boot up? It is very realistic concern. See: https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/4784#issuecomment-769079469

How can we use this laptop for work (or any kind of serious/professional activity) if we can't trust it and it can stop working anytime? The OMEN is supposed to be the premium category of HP's gaming models. Worse is that we can't get through the support even after every OEMs realized this error and have already fixed their BIOS. Even HP fixed some of their cheaper models but not OMEN.

Probably the Pavilion and OMEN models have different BIOS development teams and while one was open to fixing these issues, the other threw the issue back, in which case the support cannot do anything. Otherwise I cannot imagine why they fixed it for some models, but not for others. They might as well fix their auto fan control curves as well which was probably implemented by someone that has never used an OMEN laptop. It's terrible and fan runs loudly 90% of time. Luckily there are third party fan control programs that can override this behavior.

Anyway it's infuriating if I have to sell this laptop after buying it (and lose couple of hundred bucks) because it does not work as intended and HP does not provide any kind of support for it.

@Echo_Lake

Any thoughts?

HP Recommended

@kevinha

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@ECHO_LAKE I'm not sure why you have posted this stock response again. From the thread it is obvious to me that what is required is some commitment to fix the bios issue. Will that come?

HP Recommended

@kevinha

Thank you for posting back. 

To get the answer to this question, BIOS are managed by Microsoft, and it will roll out through Windows update once the newer version available. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake

Are you just trolling now or are you really that incompetent? Not a rhetorical question. Genuinely interested.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem and this is in fact very frustrating and disappointing. Regretfully I had not seen this thread before purchasing...

I'm not 100% sure that WSL2 & Realtek GBe adapter problem is BIOS related (by the way installing latest BIOS has fixed the BSOD I have experienced after enabling WSL2 for the first time) but HP is definitely responsible for fixing it. And if this is the BIOS issue then HP (not Microsoft) should release an update. Besides this I like the laptop and would not like to return it or write a negative review...

HP Recommended

@ntkernel

It is most likely a BIOS issue because other vendors were affected too, and every one of them fixed it asap with a BIOS update. And it doesn't seem like HP plans to fix it anytime soon if ever for OMENs. You can read more about it here: https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/5911

To be honest if you plan to use the laptop for anything else other than gaming, you should return it and find a better one (I heard Lenovo Legion 5 is pretty good) and stay away from HP. I had so many issues with this laptop in the past few months (BIOS problems, BSoDs, no sound, unstable wifi, loud fans while laptop is idle, fans stuck at 100% (had to reflash BIOS) etc.) and the support is basically non-existent slow and incompetent. Support either does not respond even after weeks, or can't help, or they won't help. It always turned out, all of the issues were HP related.

See HP staff response above about the BIOS problems: shows incompetence and a flat out lie to give customers false expectations and to push the responsibility to others all the same time when it's quite basic that firmwares are always managed by their vendors in this case HP because they run outside of the OS. I wonder what Microsoft would respond to that. My hands are itchy to send them an email about the BIOS update we are eagerly waiting.

Unfortunately I cannot return the laptop anymore  but I will replace it as soon as the new generation CPUs/GPUs are out. I can just never know when the next update will screw my system up and force me to move my work to another computer. BIOS issues are serious problems, and having a HP laptop is a huge risk!

HP Recommended

@Ntkernel 
I can only agree to what ks0 said, you should return it as long as it is possible and buy a different brand like for example the legion 5.
I regretted it, because I believed the support would do its job after I contacted them, but there was no response until it was too late to return the laptop and the response was, that it is my fault and why do I need WSL 2 anyway...

HP Recommended

I absolutely agree, but I mostly use laptop over WiFi network (my previous one had not wired interface at ll), so wired adapter is not absolutely critical at the moment. Though it is kind of irritating to have it but not be able to use...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.