Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Well mine is actually covered in mesh and plastic so no way of getting your finger cutoff. It's also a 200mm fan, instead of 180mm. Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Ultra-Slim-R9-NBC-XSLI-GP/dp/B005C31HC0

Fix for Cortana: Right-click on the taskbar, go to Search and choose either "Show Icon", or "Hidden". Show icon takes the huge bar and makes it into an icon so you can still use search if you need to find a program or something. Hidden completely removes it.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I've tried the Settings>System>Apps & Features route and "surprisingly" I cannot uninstall any of those aweful evil little tiles.

I managed to find a way to disable Onedrive through the Regedit, which worked.

Now I have to comb the system and figure out what else "a certian company" snuck onto my pc so it could run in the background

(Note: I don't mean HP when I say "a certain company")

HP Recommended

I can uninstall SmartGlass just fine. There's some there that have the option greyed out, but thise are more core apps than Xbox is. 

Also, it's been reported that Windows 10 "spies" on you a lot. Logging and sending usage information back to the "Certain Comapny" without youre knowledge. There's multiple tutorials on the internet on ways to disable all those "Features", as Microcrap calls them. Just give it a search and you'll be incognito in no time 🙂

HP Recommended

Holy ...... that is a fan! 8O

Well when I say disable Cortana, I guess what I really mean is take a sword to the aweful program.

I used to use Windows XP (and yes talking Windows versions is the equivalent of talking politics and religion) I like how Windows XP was easy to navigate, use, I even taught 3 elderly people how to use it and they got the concept in no time!

Then Windows 7 came out and a shadow fell across the valley......

HP Recommended

Well I don't believe you can axe the entire thing as it's embedded in the core search function. Removing that, removes search all together. I could be wrong, but that's how I perceive it.

I loved Windows 7 man. Absolutely loved it lol. Windows 8 was a disaster, 8.1 made up for most of it. We won't even speak of the thing called "Vista" lmao.

Windows 10 has a LOT of potential, and will just continue getting better as it's effectively the "last Windows release". By that, Microcrap means features, improvements, and OS tweaks, will all get pushed as an update under the Windows 10 banner. If they do a heavy UI overhaul again, that will be pushed as an update and will still be known as Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Well that's a bloody shame, it brings a smile to my face when a program that's usless is up on the chopping block haha

Like I said, sometimes talking Windows versions is like talking religion and politics hahaha Windows 7 has been friendly to my parents after a little tweeking here and there.

I didn't know Windows 10 was going to be the last release. I thought they might continue it like the Rambo sequels haha

HP Recommended

I mean, if you want, I bet you could find it in System32 somewhere but again, you'll probably completely lose the ability to search for anything on your computer lol. Wanna be a guinea pig?? :LaughingTears:

If they keep to what they said during the testing of 10, that's how it is eventually going to turn out. Also, if you were a tester for the first phase before initial release, you'll continue to be a tester for all subsequent releases. I'm a tester but I'm not sure I'll be using the beta builds on my Omen after this fiasco lol

HP Recommended

No, no, no, I'm not the guinea pig anymore, that's how I lost the Pavillion dv6.... or blew up, tomato, tomoto.

Oh yes, that "certain company" has probably seen this and the other Omen problem threads and are scheming of a way to screw up the fans for cooling and make HP's lives more miserable.... haha

"Here Omen users, try this update and it'll make your pc going millions of miles per hour........... but you'll lose your fans! Sorry bout' that!" XD

HP Recommended

Aren't the fans supposed to HELP the computer go millions of miles per hour???? False advertising!! It says it'll go millions of miles per hour, but in reality, it's only going millions of miles per DAY!! Thanks Obama... :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

For all of those having this issue with windows 10 and hp omen control, the update was already released, I had the same issue now it is fixed, go to this link

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-OMEN-15-5000-Notebook-PC/7281265/model/7592495

under software-solutions

there is HP SYSTEM EVENT UTILITY, DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL IT. AND BE HAPPY AGAIN. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.