Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming- 15-ec0074ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i tried to install “2020-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64 based System” but the status of the update haven’t progress for more than 2 hours (Status: Installing - 74%). I tried with a better connection, restart my laptop or manually restart Windows Update but nothing been working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ZFThomas

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

To solve most problems installing updates, use the Windows Update Troubleshooter (in English) from Microsoft. If that does not work, follow next step. Reset Windows Update services to the default settings. 

note: Go to "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes." error (in English) from Microsoft if this specific error displays.

Reset Windows Update services to the default settings.

1. In Windows, search for Command Prompt, right-click it, and then select Run as administrator.

Opening Command Prompt as administrator

2. In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands, pressing Enter after each.

• net stop bits

• net stop cryptsvc

• net stop wuauserv

• net start bits

• net start cryptsvc

• net start wuauserv

3. Press the Windows + R keys at the same time to open the Run box.

4. Type %temp%, and then click OK. A list of files in the Temp folder displays.

5. Delete all the files in the Temp folder.

6. Rename the SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folders to SoftwareDistribution.old and catroot2.old.

7. Search for Command Prompt again, right-click it, and then select Run as administrator.

8. At the prompt, type the following commands, pressing Enter after each.

• net stop wuauserv

• ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

• ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

9. Restart the computer, and then try to install updates. If the issue persists, contact HP Customer Support.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ZFThomas

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

To solve most problems installing updates, use the Windows Update Troubleshooter (in English) from Microsoft. If that does not work, follow next step. Reset Windows Update services to the default settings. 

note: Go to "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes." error (in English) from Microsoft if this specific error displays.

Reset Windows Update services to the default settings.

1. In Windows, search for Command Prompt, right-click it, and then select Run as administrator.

Opening Command Prompt as administrator

2. In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands, pressing Enter after each.

• net stop bits

• net stop cryptsvc

• net stop wuauserv

• net start bits

• net start cryptsvc

• net start wuauserv

3. Press the Windows + R keys at the same time to open the Run box.

4. Type %temp%, and then click OK. A list of files in the Temp folder displays.

5. Delete all the files in the Temp folder.

6. Rename the SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folders to SoftwareDistribution.old and catroot2.old.

7. Search for Command Prompt again, right-click it, and then select Run as administrator.

8. At the prompt, type the following commands, pressing Enter after each.

• net stop wuauserv

• ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

• ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

9. Restart the computer, and then try to install updates. If the issue persists, contact HP Customer Support.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am have a similar problem, I followed the steps and no change, still no windows updates being downloaded or installed.

HP Recommended

@najnad

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I solved my issue. I went to this microsoft site:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and then clicked on "update now" for the 10 October 2020 Update. It downloaded, installed, restarted, and now everything is up to date.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.