Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

when i ran the windows update troubleshooter it gave this result:

windows troubleshooter.PNG

when i used command prompt to 'reset the components of windows update' and entered the commands beginning with 'ren' it stated that the files did not exist or there were duplicates of them...

I am not sure how to solve these errors but i would like to try to do that before attempting method 3 as that seems dangerous...

thank you so much for your help so far 🙂

HP Recommended

Method 1 shows it completed successfully.

Did you try running Windows updates before doing Method 2?

HP Recommended

I have run the windows update troubleshooter many times with the same results that do not aid the update:windows troubleshooter.PNG

I have run the command prompt commands in method 2 with the same result every time: the files they want me to search for do not exist or have duplicates ???broken windows update.PNG

I tried method 3 but the program file directories were already in the correct places (D:\Program Files).

I also tried method 5 of setting the default language to English but it has not worked (it was already English).

I tried method 4 but my (free) antivirus programs did not yield any results.

HP Recommended

In that case @Ethan212  I am out of ideas.  All I can think of is that something in the OS is skewed. It may be faster at this point to reinstall Windows. If you choose to to do this, back up your data first if needed.

HP Recommended

I might also suggest before reinstalling, to run the UEFI Diagnostics troubleshooter and see if maybe the hard drive is having any physical issues, just to rule that out.

F2 at startup will take you to the menu before Windows starts.

Go to Component Tests and then Storage. Run the short test first. If nothing is found, run the long test.

HP How to use Diagnostics

HP Recommended

i fixed it by performing a full windows reset from safe mode. i dont know why i didnt do that earlier as all i needed to do afterwards was reinstall some apps.

HP Recommended

Well, that was a last resort option and why I didn't suggest it till the end.

Glad it working now and thanks for the update.   🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.