Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 7855
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I printed a page fine this evening.  The next time I tried to print I got a blue screen.  I rebooted the printer.   Then I got a "cartridge problem" error.  It says to remove the black cartridge and reinstall it properly,  I did as suggested.  No luck.  I removed cartridges, unplugged everything, let it sit, pressed the power button for 30 seconds to drain any power, plugged it all back in.  Still get the error.   I cleaned the contacts.  Nothing.   I was able to print in single cartridge mode with only the tri-color.  I got a box from instant ink recently but it only has a tri-color cartridge, so I can't try replacing the black cartridge to see if that helps.  Can't seem to find any one I can talk to at HP Ink since my printer warranty is expired and it's a Friday night.   

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As per the last update from your printer,  you have over 70% ink in the black cartridge. This was the reason the replacement cartridge was not sent yet.

and you have already tried all the relevant steps, so could you please confirm your shipping address?

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi @kwells45

Please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Let me know. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

As per the last update from your printer,  you have over 70% ink in the black cartridge. This was the reason the replacement cartridge was not sent yet.

and you have already tried all the relevant steps, so could you please confirm your shipping address?

HP Recommended

Yes, I tried all the trouble shooting steps recommended and it just keeps saying to remove the black cartridge and reinstall  it properly.

The shipping address is:

Kathleen Wells

1015 S 7th St

DeKalb IL, 60115

Will a replacement cartridge fix the problem or is there a bigger problem with the printer?

Thank you

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hello I am also facing the same Cartridge Problem for my Color Cartridge slot. I did everything as others did, cleaning, restarting.

But issue still persists.

HP Recommended

My printer says to remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge (black) making sure it is correctly installed.  I have done that.  I purchased a new cartridge and installed that and still the same message.  It said to unplug and replug and I did that.  Then it said to wipe off with distilled water and i did that and still not working.  I appreciate any help!

HP Recommended

@SusanOh, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

What model printer are you using?

Make sure you have tried the steps mentioned in this document - HP Printer Does not Print and Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge

If you have already used a new ink cartridge and the error persists, it means the issue is with the printer and not the ink cartridges.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy photo 7858 printer.  Are you saying my solution to the problem that says remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge (black) and I have done everything they suggested to do is to take it somewhere to be fixed?  I am not able to fix it at home?  Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

@SusanOh

If you have tried the steps from this document - HP Printer Does not Print and Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge and the error persists, this could be an issue with the printer as you are getting the same message for 2 black ink cartridges. The printer has to be replaced. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

If the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That is bad news.  I have only had the printer a little over two years and now have to get another one.  I only use it at home so it has not been used very much.  I would not buy another HP for sure if this is as long as it lasts.  I think this is terrible.  Thank you for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.