Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
5524 Photosmart
Microsoft Windows Vista

I appear to have a problem that is/has been quite common on this message board. The warranty on my printer has expired, but I have just purchased new cartridges and successfully installed them after encountering a similar issue and not believing the ink level display on my printer screen when they indicated that the level of black ink were still good!

Now having purchased a further set of cartridges and considerable expense, the black one doesn't work. I have followed all of the set-up guidance suggested on your forums, I have realigned it, I have cleaned the printhead, I have scanned the alignment page and so on, but nothing works. 

My concern now is that is quite clearly not an isolated incident. It has happened before and it seems to happen to many other HP customers. Can you please advise what I can do next?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@tommyrocket,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to print black.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Are you able to make a copy in black?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-5520-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5157533/model/52...

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
  1. Hi

Thankyou for coming back to me. No, I am unable to copy in black. When attempting to do so, I just receive a blank page.

I've followed all of the steps in the attached article also. The cartridges are brand new as previously mentioned, the page is dry and of good quality. Printer heads have been cleaned and aligned, but nothing seems to help.

HP Recommended

@tommyrocket

Make sure the ink cartridges are properly vented and correctly seated

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already turned on.

2. Open the ink cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the access area.

Opening the ink cartridge access door

3. Press the tab on the front of the ink cartridge inward to release it, and then pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Removing the ink cartridge from the slot

4. Examine the vent area on each ink cartridge, above the HP logo on the top of the ink cartridge.

Vent area on the top of the ink cartridge

5. If the ink cartridge still has the orange pull-tab attached, pull to remove it.

Orange pull tab

6. If the vent is clogged, use a straight pin to gently remove excess adhesive from the vent.

Cleaning the clogged vent with a pin

Clogged vent
    2. With a straight pin, gently remove excess adhesive from the vent

3. Unclogged vent

7. Slide the ink cartridge into its slot, and then press down on the ink cartridge until it snaps into place.

NOTE: 

Make sure that each ink cartridge is installed in the correct slot. Match the shape of the icon and the color of the ink cartridge with the slot that has the same shaped icon and color.

Reinserting the ink cartridge

8. Repeat these steps to inspect the vents on each of the ink cartridges.

9. Make sure that each ink cartridge is firmly in place in its slot. Run your finger along the top of the ink cartridges to feel for any that are protruding, and if any are, press down firmly until each ink cartridge snaps into place.

10. Close the ink cartridge access door.

11. Try the print job again.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandytechy20

Thanks very much for your advice and prompt reply. Unfortunately, the problem persists after following the steps that you'd suggested. I've removed, inspected and re-inserted the cartridge but to no avail. 

I'm not sure that else I can do, the other cartridges are absolutely fine.

thanks

Tom

HP Recommended

@tommyrocket

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thankyou.

I've followed steps 1-4 as suggested, but there is no step 5, ie: "show options". The only options available are:

• HP Virtual Agent
  • HP Phone Support (fee based)
  • HP Support Community

Is a link to the form available?

many thanks

Tom

HP Recommended

@tommyrocket

I am sending you a private message with the options to talk to HP support. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.