Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended

Hello,

I've just bought a secondhand HP DESKJET F2180 and it came with two Instant Ink cartridges. I've tried to sign up for Instant Ink but don't see this printer listed there. 

Can anyone tell me if the printer I have is compatible with Instant Ink?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Fragglebuster 

Product introduced 2011 in most regions

A quick check of the website confirms: You are correct, the printer is not listed.

This printer is not eligible for Instant Ink Print-by-Page Subscription.

Regardless, having someone else send / provide Instant Ink cartridges with any printer is not useful.

(Even) for an eligible printer, the following is relevant:

Instant Ink cartridges remain the property of HP - once the Instant Ink Print-by-Page subscription is terminated, Instant Ink cartridges are forever locked and cannot be used again.

For those reading, find the list of eligible printers in your region at the Instant Ink Website:

HP Instant Ink - Main Website - Information, Enroll, FAQ, Terms of Service / Contract

Not your home site?  Click the Flag to change to your region.

Scroll down, beneath the blue sign-up now button, click Check to see if your HP printer works with Instant Ink

Important - Understand the Instant Ink Service

Scroll down again to see the FAQ section and to Read the Terms of Service Contract

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Deskjet F2180 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Fragglebuster 

Product introduced 2011 in most regions

A quick check of the website confirms: You are correct, the printer is not listed.

This printer is not eligible for Instant Ink Print-by-Page Subscription.

Regardless, having someone else send / provide Instant Ink cartridges with any printer is not useful.

(Even) for an eligible printer, the following is relevant:

Instant Ink cartridges remain the property of HP - once the Instant Ink Print-by-Page subscription is terminated, Instant Ink cartridges are forever locked and cannot be used again.

For those reading, find the list of eligible printers in your region at the Instant Ink Website:

HP Instant Ink - Main Website - Information, Enroll, FAQ, Terms of Service / Contract

Not your home site?  Click the Flag to change to your region.

Scroll down, beneath the blue sign-up now button, click Check to see if your HP printer works with Instant Ink

Important - Understand the Instant Ink Service

Scroll down again to see the FAQ section and to Read the Terms of Service Contract

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Deskjet F2180 All-in-One Printer

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. 

Okay, so I will need to purchase a new cartridge. In the meantime, I have two brand new Instant Ink cartridges here. What do I do with them? 

HP Recommended

@Fragglebuster 

You are welcome.

Yes, you need ink.

That assumes ink is still available for the printer.

Information here:

Which Cartridges Work with My HP Printer?

and

Printer Specifications for HP Deskjet F2100 All-in-One Printer Series

and

User Guide

Commentary - Personal Opinion

Note the age of the device.  Assuming an introduction in 2011, the printer is nearly 10 years old at this writing.

If  you are planning on running the printer on Windows, know that the drivers are at least six years old.  While they may still work in the latest versions of Windows, there is every likelihood that at some point (sooner or later) that the driver support will fail.  Windows 10 is vastly different form when it was first introduced - things have changed.  

So, even assuming you can get the ink, don't buy a case of the stuff.  Smiling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The instant ink cartridges can be recycled anywhere that provides this service.

Save them until it is safe to take them to a local retail store that provides ink recycle service.

OR

The following might be helpful - it depends on whether the mail-in recycle service you seek is available in your region.

Sustainability – Business Systems / Devices - Recycle

HP collects used products for resale and recycling in 73 countries and territories worldwide

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

My local Tesco does compatible cartridges. 

I have yet to connect the printer to my laptop, so wish me luck with that lol. 

HP Recommended

@Fragglebuster 

The printer provides the USB cable connection between printer and the computer.

Download and save the printer software to your computer.

• Open File Explorer (formally Windows Explorer)
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator

Disconnect the USB cable before you install the printer software.

When instructed to do so, connect the cable (near the end of the installation process).

After the printer software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I appear to be missing a USB cable *groans*. I have downloaded/installed the drivers.

Knew this was going too well LOL. 

HP Recommended

@Fragglebuster 

Edits to correct some of the sloppy grammar / structure

Yes, I hesitated to ask about that.  Smiling.

If you might be able purchase a USB printer cable from Amazon.  Even with shipping delays on some items, it may not take too long.  Here in the USA, we can still order from Amazon - some things take longer than others, but the process is still up and running.  Thank goodness for Amazon and the other companies that are still there to help those of us stuck in our homes.  Kudos.

You might be able to borrow a printer cable.  I realize we are all on social shutdown - have the friend put the cable in a bag and toss it (gently) up on your porch.  Smiling. 

Spray the cable bag with disinfectant, remove the cable, spray the cable part you need to touch from a distance and very lightly, let the cable sit for a day, and you are good to go.  No bugs. 

OR

Just use gloves and avoid the whole "buggy bits" possibility.

Hang in there.  

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Good morning,

Yeah I'll have a look on Amazon later today. First I am going to check what I call our wire/leads box. Hubby has so many cords/leads/cables stored in a unit we have, there may be something I can use in there.

Now, next question: I went out and bought two new ink cartridges but I am still getting two flashing orange lights on the printer. The cartridge mechanism makes some clunking noises as it moves from side to side, is that normal? I've put paper into the tray, but it doesn't seem to be able to detect it?

HP Recommended

@Fragglebuster 

Nine year old printer is perhaps not able to make use of the new cartridges.  The internal ink system may not have been properly cared for once the printer was removed from service.  There may well be more to the ink delivery system than just the cartridges.  If, for example, there are dried bits of old ink in the area outside the cartridge area, these might be clogged.

@Bob_Headrick 

Member is trying to revive an older printer.  The initial question for the thread has been answered / resolved.  There is no USB cable yet, so no actual loading of software and communication the printer in that regard.  

Member is in trouble trying get the printer to work with newly purchased cartridges.  

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.