Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet MFP M234dwe Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would love to have confirmations on a few things regarding instant ink and get a couple suggestions to the right HP departments.

I'm using Instant Ink in 3 offices of a small business. When I signed up for Instant Ink there wasn't a business option available to the general public, so I followed the instructions I was given to create a seperate account for each shipping location. While this worked ok for the first couple printers, we now have 5 different billing dates based on the install date of the printers. We also have the issue that there are no nicknames or even serial numbers in the emails for the printers. 

The right answer would be for me to upgrade to "HP Instant Ink for Business," however I only have incompatible M234/M209 printers, and the clerks want "small and simple" printers. All of the options on the list of "HP Instant Ink for Business" printers are much larger. The subscription prices are similar for Home or Business are similar so I don't quite understand why these printers are being excluded.

Further I am being told by customer service that the "stockpile" of toner is really supposed to be used in the printer it was sent for, and that I should match the tracking number on the box to the printer keep the stockpiles separate. We've never done this in the past, and after going through 18+ cartridges, statistically we've definitely put the "wrong" cartridge in a printer without issue. I can't envision a scenario where using the "wrong" cartridge does anything except trigger shipping a new cartridge.

Finally as we just had a snafu on getting a toner in time (maybe from the shared stockpile issue), I found out the cartridges become tied to a specific printer once installed (Cartridge Protection.) This is above and beyond the Instant Ink subscription verification. So if I get streaking on a printer, am I supposed to waste a whole cartridge to diagnose if toner or printer has failed? (I know it isn't my cost, but it does seem contrary to the "sustainable" pledge.) 

So the clarifications I'd like to know are:

Is this printer specific stockpile really necessary?

Can I take an Instant Ink toner between offices (accounts)?

Finally the suggestions to HP are:

1. Can HP please add the M234/M209 printers to HP Instant Ink for Business. I see plenty of other business users who like the convenience of a small desktop printer. I want the business version's single management login with multiple shipping locations and the accountant wants a single bill. It would also be easier to recommend to other businesses if they didn't have to jump through hoops of creating email alias and multiple accounts for multiple locations.

2.Could HP add some sort of printer nicknames for accounts with multiple printers or even just an identifying code in the emails for the Home plan? If I am stuck with these multiple home plans, that would help me keep better track of the status of individual printers.

3. Could HP not enable cartridge protection for Instant Ink toner? Cartridge protection was advertised as an anti-theft feature, but the Instant Ink subscription check obviously supersedes any local check. If anything reusing the cartridge might add an Instant Ink subscriber, or at least keep an existing subscriber from getting frustrated.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @M_E_Hubert-PC 

Welcome to HP Support Community. 
Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I've sent you a private message with the instructions. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link

I hope this helps.
Take care and have a good day.

Treeko
HP Support

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for a reply from HP, but a DM providing the 800 number to customer support isn't really a helpful response. I'm not sure why it needed a DM for that info.

So going back to the questions:

Do I need to keep the extra toner cartridges separated per printer?

Can I move a toner cartridge from one account to another?

Then the suggestions:

Add the Laserjet M200 / M230 to the Business Instant Ink program

Add nicknames for printers or some identification to emails for Home Instant Ink accounts with 2+ printers of the same model..

Finally consider dropping the redundant Cartridge Protection from Instant Ink toner.

(I am not expecting a response to the suggestions, but it would be nice to know if my printers are added to the Business list.)

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @M_E_Hubert-PC 

we are not authorized to assist on Business related assistance.
Hence requested you to reach out on the given number shared to you.

I hope this helps.
Take care and have a good day.

Treeko
HP Support

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Treeko,

The additional information that the community support forums exclude business instant ink accounts would have been helpful to include with the original message, especially since the (855) 785-2777 number is listed for both business and home customers.

I called that number and there does not appear to be a seperate business instant ink department, the tech who said they support both account types. She eventually returned from a long hold only to transfer me to printer tech support who couldn't understand why were speaking if my printers were working fine... I am clearly not going to get reasonable support through the phone system. (and hence why I'm using the forums to hopefully get to the right department.)

Understanding that there can be no business support here, I still have questions that pertain as luckily I am not yet a business customer.

1. Do I need to keep the extra toner cartridges separated per printer on a home account?

2. Can I use a toner cartridge sent to one account on a different account?

Then the suggestions:

Add the Laserjet M200 / M230 to the Business Instant Ink program

1. Add nicknames for printers or some identification to emails for Home Instant Ink accounts with 2+ printers of the same model..

2. Finally consider dropping the redundant Cartridge Protection from Instant Ink toner.

I get that these are not the basic "why won't it print or connect" questions. So please let's get this to the right inbox. As I mentioned earlier I doubt most of the home instant ink customers have multiple accounts, and multiple printers of the same model.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I managed to find a bit of information which may be helpful for others. 

HP Smart admin for business requires the use of an "eight-letter pairing code" versus the "Printer Claim Code" on HP home connected systems. So presumably without this code there won't be a way to add the older LaserJet printers to the Business system.

So there is a reason my printers are currently ineligible for the business instant ink.

Perhaps HP could update the firmware with an optional  "eight-letter pairing code" mode on the network admin page of the printers, but as it is not just a simple enablement I understand why it likely won't happen.

HP Recommended

I have also used a toner from the second account, as we had run out and the customer service "express" shipping hadn't arrived in 10 days. (actually took 12 days.) I worked just fine, but I really hope it doesn't mess up any accounts.

HP Recommended

Additional update, nicknames exist:

One of my printers managed to lose its connection to HP Connect. It was bad enough that I had to do a full "restore defaults" reset of the printer. Now that printer appears with my "Device Description" as its name in Instant Ink. I had changed that name from the embedded web server (EWS) before I reconnected it to HP Connect using the HP Smart App.

In HP Smart web, the name only appears under the Instant Ink section and not under the Printers and there does not appear to be any option to change the nickname or even re-sync with the current setting, but it's a start.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.