Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Office Jet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wireless printer is connected to the internet.  When I want to print something, I am getting an error message that states:

Connect Printer to Update HP Instant Ink Status.

When I try to connect, it does not work, yet the printer shows that there is a valid Internet connection.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@shipoci, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates.

For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Assign manual IP to the printer

The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here.

For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers

If the issue persists, I would recommend you follow the document HP Instant Ink - 'Connect Printer to Update Status' Message Displays

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried all of your suggestions, and I continue to get the error message that the printer cannot connect to the internet, even though there is a valid connection.

HP Recommended

@shipoci

Try these steps to re-enable the web-services -

Step 1 Remove the Web-Services -

1. From the top of the screen, touch or swipe down the tab to open the Dashboard, touch ( HP ePrint ), and then touch (Web Services Settings).
2. Touch Remove Web Services.

Reboot the devices.

Step 2 Enable the Web-Services -

1. From the top of the screen, touch or swipe down the tab to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).
2. Touch Web Services Setup.

3. Touch Accept to accept the Web Services terms of use and enable Web Services.
4. On the screen that appears, touch OK to allow the printer to automatically check for product updates.

5. If the Printer Update Options screen is displayed, select one of the options.
6. When the printer is connected to the server, the printer prints an information page. Follow the instructions on the information page to finish the setup.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

New poster here.  These instructions make no sense.  I am having the same problem and spent a long time in a chat yesterday with an HP employee which did not help.  He became unhappy that I would not let him access my computer remotely and cut off the chat before we had solved the problem.  I am beginning to think that the whole Instant Ink program is a huge scam because as soon as it is time for new ink, all of a sudden the Instant Ink program cannot find the printer.  I have changed nothing about my setup and it always worked just fine in the past.  I do not use the wireless feature, I connect via USB and via an ethernet cable to my wireless router.  This has always worked for me but now it won't.  I DO NOT WANT TO USE THE WIRELESS OPTION.  It doesn't work reliably and I don't have time to play around with stupid unreliable technology.  I need things to work seamlessly every time.

HP Recommended

same problem. how fix this finally 😥😥😥😥😥

HP Recommended

Problem Solved:

I called HP Support and after 30+ minutes of having them access my PC, they resolved the problem.  I was not comfortable letting them access the PC, but in the end had  no choice.  They did fix the problem.  Apparently, they are aware of the issue, but are waiting for users to call in, rather than sending a suggested fix.

Not a good way to do business.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.