Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Hp Envy 4527

I can't use our Hp Envy 4527 printer at the moment as I constantly have the message : Incompatible Cartridges The indicated cartridges are not intended for use in this printer. We only ever use cartridges that have been sent from instant ink, these current cartridges worked perfectly for the first couple of weeks. I have tried unplugging the printer from the wall and power cable for 60 seconds - no change. I have also tried carefully to remove any dust as suggested with a lint free cloth. Any other suggestions? Would be helpful if Hp could send out some new cartridges. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @LouKat

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I see that the ink cartridges are not being recognized by the printer. I'd be happy to assist you. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Perform step 3 from this document.

If the issue persists, as the issue is related to Instant ink cartridges, I need more information to help you out.

Since the instant ink account details are confidential, please send me the required information via private message.

I am sending you a private message with the information required.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @LouKat

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I see that the ink cartridges are not being recognized by the printer. I'd be happy to assist you. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Perform step 3 from this document.

If the issue persists, as the issue is related to Instant ink cartridges, I need more information to help you out.

Since the instant ink account details are confidential, please send me the required information via private message.

I am sending you a private message with the information required.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi there. I am having the same issue, and have tried all of the suggested solutions with no luck. We bought the printer in Australia but we are now living in the UK and have only just started having the issue since we put in the latest cartridges - would that be part of the issue, or are the cartridges universal? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Bought in Austrralia and now in the UK. I have read that you need to do a regional reset but to do this you have to call HP support and it seams impossible to contact them! Terrible service

HP Recommended

I tried all of the solutions & it is still not working. I also tried re-installing brand new ink cartridges (HP) & it is still showing "Incompatible Cartridge"

HP Recommended

This did not solve my problem

HP Recommended

@mare5281, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Are you using HP Instant Ink cartridges?

If yes, I am sending you a private message with the information required to assist you better.

If you are using regular HP ink cartridges, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I do not use the instant ink service, buy I only use HP ink cartridges. I have tried all of the suggested troubleshooting and nothing has worked. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

I just bought this printer a week ago because the schools shut down so I basically had to convert my house into my office so I can teacher kids digitally and I needed a printer/scanner for materials. I used up the cartridge that came with it and put a new one in, HP brand, right numbers and everything and it says the cartridge is not communicating. I checked the firmware and any downloads I might need, I did the unplug, wipe off steps and now I'm just frustrated because I have had so many issues with this printer and it's only been a week!

HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy 4500 printer and I have new printer cartridges but the printer doesn't recognize them as being compatible. I've tried the unplugging option a few times and I've verified that my firmware is up to date but I still get the error. I've even tried purchasing a second set of cartridges and tried those but I still get the error. I can't seem to get past it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.