Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Other

I am unsure why I can not use my printer when I cancel my ink subscription b/c I have boxes of ink that I still have not used and yet they still want to charge me over $100 to get ink in order for printer to work 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

The above is one of the biggest misconceptions regarding the Instant Ink program.  When you sign up for the Instant Ink program you are NOT purchasing ink, you are purchasing a subscription to a set number of pages per month.  The ink is supplied, but remains the property of HP and must be returned if you cancel the program in accordance with the terms of service.  See sections 5.d and 9.c of the terms of service here. 

Instant Ink cartridges will not work once the plan is canceled. You will need to purchase retail cartridges.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

So why can we not use the ink already purchased from your  (in a law firm) and still use the printer? 

HP Recommended

Are the cartridges Instant Ink cartridges?  If so, they are the property of HP and must be returned if the subscription is canceled.  Please read the link in my post above. 

If the cartridges are not Instant Ink then please provide a few details:  What printer model? What operating system? Are there any error messages on the printer or computer screen?  If so, what exactly is the error message?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks they will all be returned to you tomorrow!

HP Recommended

Ohhh and I we will never purchase HP again and I will definitely pass the word to everyone of the same 

HP Recommended

OK, no problem.  Just for the record, they will not be returned to me as I do not work for HP (or anyone), I am a volunteer here.  They should be returned to HP.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Well as much money as they are making from innocent people ; they should be paying you 

HP Recommended

There should not be any surprise - the terms clearly indicate the cartridges are HP's, not yours.  I am sorry things did not meet your needs.

If someone could use cartridges after the subscription was canceled there would be a great incentive to sign up, use the plan for a month or less and then keep the generally-larger-than-XL-sized cartridges.  It would be nice to get $150 worth of ink for $3.99, but that is not the intent of the program, nor is it reasonable.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

It seems there is little useful left to say here, I will lock this thread. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.