Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8035
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

According to the terms of the Instant Ink Program, the printer needs to be continuously connected to the internet; otherwise, the instant ink cartridges will be disabled and I won't be able to print using them.

Questions:-

1. Does that mean the cartridges will be disabled every time I turn my printer off, or when the printer turns off automatically?
  2. Does it also mean that the cartridges will be disabled should I decide to turn my router off over night, or if my internet gets cut off for any reason?
  3. In both situations, even though the printer has been turned on and re-connected to the internet after being off, will the printer still fail to send out the information needed (no. of pages... etc.) for a new instant ink replacement cartridge?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ModUser Duly noted, will send that across the concerned team and hopefully they'll make the necessary changes.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @ModUser

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the Instant Ink queries. 

• The printer has to be connected to the Internet so that the Instant Ink servers can monitor the printer status, check ink levels and ship the ink cartridges when the ink levels are low.
  • The ink cartridges will not be disabled if it is not connected to the internet, you will still be able to print, however, you might receive a notification to make the printer online.
  • If the printer is turned off or not connected to the internet, you will still be able to print, but if the ink levels are low, you may not receive the ink cartridges from HP.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply; however, your reply contradicts the HP Instant Ink Terms of Service (at least regarding the instant ink cartridges)...

In the terms of service to which each subscriber has to agree,

Chapter 5 [INSTANT INK SERVICE REQUIREMENTS] Section c: "If Your printer is not connected to the Internet, then the Instant Ink-activated Cartridges will be disabled and You will not be able to use them to print; however, You will continue to be charged for the Instant Ink Service as described in Section 7 (“Paying for Your Instant Ink Service”)".

It clearly states that the instant-ink cartridges will be DISABLED (even though they are already paid for), And from research, I found out that this actually happened to Instant Ink Program subscribers.

Moreover, Also in the terms of service, Chapter 11 [GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS] Section a: "NO WARRANTY. YOU AGREE THAT THE INSTANT INK SERVICE, INSTANT INK READY CARTRIDGES, INSTANT INK PROGRAM CARTRIDGES, INSTANT INK PROGRAMS, AND THE SITE ARE PROVIDED BY HP ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITH ALL FAULTS. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, HP DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY WARRANTY WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE INSTANT INK SERVICE, INSTANT INK READY CARTRIDGES, INSTANT INK PROGRAM CARTRIDGES, INSTANT INK PROGRAMS, AND THE SITE..."

Basically, HP is telling their customers to join the program at their (customers') own risk; however, HP keeps advertising The Instant Ink Program as a Bonus, advantage, and promotion to get customers buy their HP printers. That seems like false advertising to me.

I think that HP should update their terms of service for the Instant Ink Program because the way it is right now, I would rather buy the regular cartridges. I also think if more people actually read the terms of service, HP would a lot less people signing up for the program.

HP Recommended

@ModUser I appreciate the feedback and will forward the same to the concerned team, that said, let me ensure we don't have any misunderstandings:

• Does that mean the cartridges will be disabled every time I turn my printer off, or when the printer turns off automatically?
    • The printer has to be connected to the Internet so that the Instant Ink servers can monitor the printer status, check ink levels and ship the ink cartridges when the ink levels are low.
      • NO, YOUR CARTRIDGES WILL NOT BE DISABLED AS SUCH, YOU CAN STILL USE IT, ONLY THEIR COUNT WILL ONLY SHOW UP WHEN YOU CONNECT IT BACK TO THE NETWORK (MEANWHILE, YOU WILL ONLY PAY FOR THE SUBSCRIPTION CHARGES)
  • Does it also mean that the cartridges will be disabled should I decide to turn my router off over night, or if my internet gets cut off for any reason? (SAME AS ABOVE)
  • In both situations, even though the printer has been turned on and re-connected to the internet after being off, will the printer still fail to send out the information needed (no. of pages... etc.) for a new instant ink replacement cartridge? (AS SOON AS ITS RECONNECTED, THE SYSTEM WILL DETECT LOW INK AND SETUP AN ORDER FOR REPLACEMENT CARTRIDGES AUTOMATICALLY.

The section c of chapter 5 is referring to temporarily disabling the account as it wouldn't work without internet, this program only works when connected to a network,

So, if you have connection issues or there's no internet for a long time, and you notice that there have not been any replacement cartridges sent to you though its depleted, its because the service is disabled due to no internet connection, however, the same can be enabled once you re-connect to the internet and let us know that you are back.

I hope that helps!

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying.

I still think HP should change/update the wording of the Instant-Ink Program terms of service.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@ModUser Duly noted, will send that across the concerned team and hopefully they'll make the necessary changes.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I also think that HP should offer some warranty to the Instant-Ink cartridges as well. It is not fair for subscribers to receive defective cartridges, not be able to print until a new replacement and not be able to exchange the cartridges.

Anyway, Thanks for all the replies.

HP Recommended

@ModUser The pleasure is all mine, also, we've got you covered on that last bit already, as we have an ongoing warranty for all instant ink cartridges, if you have any such issues, all you have to do is either contact the phone support or send us a message about the cartridge issues and once we troubleshoot to resolve any other reasons for the issue, we can place an order for replacements to be shipped to your place at no cost.

I hope that helps!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.