Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP 7855
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Our Printer does FAX'es as well.

We keep it off unless we are printing.

Got e-mail from Instant Ink that they couldn't connect to our printer. It should be left on. OK, but we got a phone call and the printer RINGS, LOUDLY!

I can't find any setting to quiet the ring nor not have the printer answer? It is set to NOT auto-answer, but that doesn't stop the printer from 'ringing'.

What can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@IrvS

The power management option can be found under Setup(gear icon).

Go to the home screen of the printer >  go to Setup > Power management > Sleep mode > Set it as required.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@IrvS, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

For HP Instant Ink to work, the printer should be ON and connected to the internet.

Let us try these steps to resolve the fax issue:

1. From the printer control panel display, touch Fax.

2. Touch Setup , and then touch Preferences.

3. Touch Rings to Answer.

4. Touch to set the number of rings.

5. Touch Done. (The default Rings to Answer setting is five rings.)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well, thanks for the reply. Somehow it seems to have 'fixed' itself. I might have made a change though, I turned off-Auto Answer. For whatever reason, the printer isn't ringing now.

We have the printer connected to our home phone, which comes in via cable from our ISP. After 4 rings here it would switch to the ISP Voicemail, so setting it to 5 rings wouldn't have worked. Any lower I guess would cause the FAX to answer a call?

I don't know why this did change and I'm pretty sure we did have it set to Auto-Answer?

Have NEW PROBLEM though, the screen doesn't go off and it seems the printer doesn't sleep?

I searched HELP for how to enable it. Found this:

Capture.JPG

I don't have the POWER MANAGEMENT option on the DASHBOARD? Can't set the Power Button either?

This is the Printer data (HP7855 a few years old):

Capture1.JPG

Wonder if a S/W update deleted that setting?

HP Recommended

@IrvS

The power management option can be found under Setup(gear icon).

Go to the home screen of the printer >  go to Setup > Power management > Sleep mode > Set it as required.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar,

THANK YOU!!!

I think the reason I couldn't see that choice was due to the cursor pen I was using. Works fine on a phone and tablet, no so good on the printer display. When I used my finger to scroll up I found it.

It was set to 15 minutes already. I did change the Power Button back to Sleep, and I know it was doing that before. It works too, as does Sleep after 15 minutes but that wasn't happening before?

When checking to see if I had the correct firmware as the most recent, I noticed one was released in April 2020, but I did have it installed. Wondering if that got installed and didn't fully initialized until I turned the printer off and on again?

Anyway, thanks... everything seems to be working at this time. Why it didn't before? Don't know?

HP Recommended

@IrvS

It could be a glitch on the printer. Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar,

Suspect a printer problem now? It is set Sleep Mode in 5 minutes and the Power Button to put it into Sleep.

I tested it after setting it that way and it would go to sleep for an instant and come back on? So I powered down and then it worked! Fine.

Today, got a phone call, no rings on the printer, GOOD!. However it never went to sleep? Tried the power button, again, after it enters sleep it instantly 'woke up' and the display stays on.

Powered the printer OFF again, then ON, and the put it to Sleep and it stays sleeping.

Software problem with the April 2020 f/w update or the Printer itself? Sort of bothers me as I'm worried the display will be damaged with it on all the time. Sort of makes me re-think using Instant Ink?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.