Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended

This is the same issue I've been having. This is the worst customer service I've ever seen. You need a case number to talk to someone, but can't get one through any of the chat, text, or messanger options. How can you call this issue resolved when it's clearly not? How can I get a new cartridge that works?

HP Recommended

After hours of trying and searching everywhere on the web page, I managed to get a case number from the virtual agent. The virtual agent finally showed me a phone number where I could call during office hours. Finally I had a person to talk to, who sent me a new cartridge. And now the printer works as it should be. But it’s really bad customer service at this company. It’s just to read the threads and you can see how very many people that has the same problem! 

HP Recommended

These are the instructions sent to me by an agent I was disconnected with. I unplugged and plugged in the printer and followed the following and it finally worked. Good luck! 

HP DeskJet, ENVY 5000 Printers - Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

Step 1: Check for ink smears on the back of printouts
If there are smears of ink on the back of your printouts, you can use an automated tool to resolve the issue.
  1. Load the printer with plain white paper.
  2. On the printer control panel, swipe left on the display, and then touch Setup 

3. Touch Tools.
  4. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Clean Page Smears.
    The printer slowly feeds a blank page.
  5. Wait for the printer to eject the blank page.
After cleaning ink smears, try to print. If the print quality is unacceptable, continue to the next step.
Step 2: Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report
Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report from the printer control panel, and then evaluate the results.
  2. On the printer control panel, swipe left on the display, and then touch Setup 

3. Touch Tools.
  4. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report.
    A Print Quality Diagnostic report prints.

Step 3: Examine the color blocks for defects
Examine the color blocks on the Print Quality Diagnostic page to make sure the color blocks do not show white lines and are not faded or missing.

• If the color blocks do not show white lines, and are not faded or missing, skip to the step to check the alignment lines.
  • If any of the color blocks show white lines, are faded, or are missing completely, continue to the next step.
Step 4: Clean the ink cartridges
Cleaning the ink cartridges can improve print quality. Clean the ink cartridges from the printer control panel, then evaluate the results.

NOTE: 
To avoid issues that require cleaning, always turn the printer off with the Power button.

3. Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Cartridges.
    The printer prints a Print Quality Diagnostic report.

4. Examine the print quality on the Print Quality Diagnostic report.
    • If the print quality is acceptable, touch No. You can stop troubleshooting.
    • If the print quality is unacceptable, touch Yes when prompted to perform the next level of cleaning.
    NOTE: 
    If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform both levels of cleaning again.
If the print quality is unacceptable, continue to the next step.
Step 5: Examine the alignment lines and green color block for defects
Examine the alignment lines and green color block on the Print Quality Diagnostic page. Make sure the lines are straight and connected and there are no dark lines or white gaps in the green color block.

• If you see no defects on the Print Quality Diagnostic page, the print mechanism and ink cartridges are working correctly. If print quality is still not satisfactory, try these general print-quality guidelines. You do not need to continue the troubleshooting steps in this document.
    • Make sure the image you are printing has a high enough resolution. Images that have been enlarged might appear fuzzy or blurry.
    • If the problem is near the edge of a printout, use the print settings to rotate the image 180 degrees. The problem might not appear on the other end of the printout.
    • Do not leave unprotected ink cartridges out of the printer for an extended period of time.
    • Always use the power button to turn the printer off. This protects the ink cartridges from exposure to air.
  • If any of the alignment lines are not straight and connected, or the green color block has dark lines or white gaps, continue to the next step.
Step 12: Align the printer
Align the ink cartridges for best print quality using the printer control panel.
  1. Load the input tray with plain white paper.
  2. Pull out the output tray, and then lift the output tray extender.

3. On the printer control panel, swipe left on the display, and then touch Setup 

4. Touch Tools.
  5. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Align Printer.
    An alignment page prints.
  6. Wait for the alignment page to fully eject from the printer.
  7. After the alignment page prints, lift the scanner lid, place the alignment page with the print side down on the scanner glass. Position it according to the engraved guides around the glass.

8. Close the scanner lid, and then touch OK.
    The printer aligns the ink cartridges.
  9. Try to print again.
    • If these steps resolved the issue, you can stop troubleshooting.
    • If the printout displays track marks or smears, continue to the next step to manually clean the area around the ink nozzles.
    • If the printout does not display track marks or smears and the issue persists, skip to the step to replace the problem ink cartridge.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my black cartridge. It was printing fine and then suddenly it won't print any more due to "cartridge error" I've tried the steps 3 times and and rebooted etc with no success. I need a replacement cartridge and am enrolled on instant ink but not sure how to request this without paying for a phone call. Many thanks.

HP Recommended

Thank you, but unfortunately these steps aren't fixing the error. 

HP Recommended

I keep getting a message saying cartridge problem despite taking it out and cleaning the cartridge. I have an instant ink subscription. Can you please send me a new black cartridge. 

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem as well.

I am going to speculate that since HP tried to discontinue 15 page or less 'free' subscription, this is their way of making it so that I go buy cartridges.

I have removed and tried cleaning the color cartridge that it is complaining about.  I have no fix.

Thanks HP.

HP Recommended

The document here has information on contacting HP to get replacement Instant Ink cartridges.  Log into the HP Instant Ink site, the phone number (or chat option for some countries) will be listed in the lower right of the opening screen.

Instant ink UK.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I called HP instant ink and they were very helpful. Hopefully a new cartridge is now on the way. 

HP Recommended

My Tri-colour Instant Ink shows an error on my printer: It is not Instant Ink, which is installed, (delivered from you). I had to buy a new one from a Danish supplier as I needed to print. Unfortunately the new one shows the same problem, (I am able to print, but the error is still there). I am also aware, that I will not received any new Instant cartridge, as you cannot see, when I need this.

Please reply to [Personal Information Removed]

Best regards

RiiseSvendsen

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.