Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Instant Ink on OfficeJet 5230
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had to reset my printer today after a borked attempt to connect the scanner in linux.

However, not instant ink will not connect to the printer in order to re-activate the cartridges.

I've tried *all* branches in the Virtual Agent Tree...including:
- All manner of activation and deactivation of Web Services, powering off and unplugging.

The printer is reconfigured to exactly the same (local) IP address - and Web Services show as connected from EWS.
Also apparently I don't get support in the UK for the Instant Ink service, because my device is out or warranty - who came up with that bonkers motivation?

I'm at a bit of a loss here.

<screenshot from hp instant ink site>
Instant Ink Failure.PNG<web services is activated in EWS...>

EWS.PNG<hp smart app (win10) shows printer error>
smart_1.PNG

<hp smart cartridge status...>smart_2.PNG

<hp smart printer information.... "Printer status unknown" ???>smart_3.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok, so I got a PM from Jay_G24 on Thursday, but it's been a busy week - so Sat night while the wife is on a 'ladies social internet chat' is the first chance I got.

This worked for me -- BUT follow the following at your own at own risk, see notes below:
>>>>

Cancel your enrollment and keep your enrollment to resolve the issue -

Refer to -Cancel Your HP Instant Ink Service and Stop a Cancellation

>>>>

Notes:
1. I wouldn't recomend these steps, until you've exhausted all other troubleshooting steps.

2. I would not recommend this without customer service support, especially if you are close the end of your billing cycle (thankfully I was several weeks away).  Because... if your cancellation goes through, you'll lose your remaining trial period and/or roll over pages. If you have lots of rollover pages - I'd recommend taking some screenshots, maybe they can be added back.

3. When I cancelled, I received a notification of cancellation on my printer LCD screen. So the instantink servers can get to my printer after all 🙂

4. When I stopped the cancellation, my printer reset and installed a firmware update (dated: 7 Jan). This may just be a coincidence, since the printer has been off all week.

5. When the printer rebooted, I could print again - using my instant ink cartridges. First job was the alignment page.  The printer's EWS showed instant ink enabled, HP Smart reported the printer connected, but instantink.hpconnected.com would not sync at all... until about 30-40 minutes later when it seemed to all work.  (In the interim, I had disabled and re-enabled webservices, but this had not had any effect.)

Good luck, the issue is now resolved (at last).
Thanks again Jay.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @tacsman,

Please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Let me know. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Did this resolve the issue? I am having exactly the same issues and I'm at a loss of how to resolve them!

HP Recommended

Still playing message ping-pong with Jay.
Will post when (if) issue is resolved.

HP Recommended

Also having the same issue - unable to connect to printer, instant ink disabled. Time and date are correct. Country is correct. But this HP Officejet 5255 WILL NOT WORK with instant ink. Have you received a solution?

HP Recommended

Still waiting on reply from @Jay_G24 for this week.

I think last time this happened, I had to cancel my instant ink subscription and then re-apply.
That is obviously not an option now since the tiers have changed.
I will post 'my' solution if/when this is sorted... there seem too many threads that just dead end (no solution discussed) on this forum 🙂

HP Recommended

Ok, so I got a PM from Jay_G24 on Thursday, but it's been a busy week - so Sat night while the wife is on a 'ladies social internet chat' is the first chance I got.

This worked for me -- BUT follow the following at your own at own risk, see notes below:
>>>>

Cancel your enrollment and keep your enrollment to resolve the issue -

Refer to -Cancel Your HP Instant Ink Service and Stop a Cancellation

>>>>

Notes:
1. I wouldn't recomend these steps, until you've exhausted all other troubleshooting steps.

2. I would not recommend this without customer service support, especially if you are close the end of your billing cycle (thankfully I was several weeks away).  Because... if your cancellation goes through, you'll lose your remaining trial period and/or roll over pages. If you have lots of rollover pages - I'd recommend taking some screenshots, maybe they can be added back.

3. When I cancelled, I received a notification of cancellation on my printer LCD screen. So the instantink servers can get to my printer after all 🙂

4. When I stopped the cancellation, my printer reset and installed a firmware update (dated: 7 Jan). This may just be a coincidence, since the printer has been off all week.

5. When the printer rebooted, I could print again - using my instant ink cartridges. First job was the alignment page.  The printer's EWS showed instant ink enabled, HP Smart reported the printer connected, but instantink.hpconnected.com would not sync at all... until about 30-40 minutes later when it seemed to all work.  (In the interim, I had disabled and re-enabled webservices, but this had not had any effect.)

Good luck, the issue is now resolved (at last).
Thanks again Jay.

HP Recommended

I am glad the issue is resolved.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Please click “Accepted Solution” on my public post if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.