Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

I received a notification today, after successfully printing a document, that my magenta ink cartridge needed to be replaced.  I did that with a "genuine HP" cartridge, and immediately I received an error that the remaining 3 cartridges were all of a sudden damaged and needed to be replaced.  Because I had just printed without any issue right before, I don't believe it is actually a problem with all 3 of the remaining cartridges. I do not use instant ink.   I have already tried re-seating the cartridges, cleaning the contacts on the 3 cartridges, unplugging the power cord from both the printer and the wall, waiting the recommended 60 seconds and then plugging back in and still the error remains.  I also tried downloading and installing the firmware updater, however, under status, it says that my printer is unavailable (presumably because the firmware is up to date).  What else can I try?  At least 2 of the 3 supposedly damaged ink cartridges are fairly new (replaced in last month or so) and have quite a bit of ink remaining in them, so I am not inclined to replace them when I really don't think that's the issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @NPOPA,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing an Ink Cartridge issue with your HP Printer. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

To assist better:

• Are the other 3 inks which you are using genuine HP ink cartridges?
  • Was there any recent update on the printer prior to the issue?

While you respond to that, Let's perform a power drain: 

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle

Update the printer firmware 

• Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your product
  • Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

If the issue persists, then please follow the steps mentioned in this document:  HP Inkjet printers - Ink cartridge errors

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.  

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @NPOPA,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing an Ink Cartridge issue with your HP Printer. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

To assist better:

• Are the other 3 inks which you are using genuine HP ink cartridges?
  • Was there any recent update on the printer prior to the issue?

While you respond to that, Let's perform a power drain: 

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle

Update the printer firmware 

• Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your product
  • Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

If the issue persists, then please follow the steps mentioned in this document:  HP Inkjet printers - Ink cartridge errors

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.  

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank your for your response.  First, allow me to answer your questions.  

- Yes, all 4 cartridges are genuine HP cartridges

-The only change to the printer prior to this problem occurring was that the magenta ink cartridge ran out and was replaced (with an HP cartridge).  That's when the problem started.

I had performed all of those steps multiple times (except plugging directly into a wall outlet because it wouldn't be able to reach without taking everything apart) already, but what ultimately seemed to work for me (after I asked the question but prior to receiving your reply) was to actually remove all 4 (including the brand new cartridge that wasn't listed to have an issue) ink cartridges and then reinstall each of them, one at a time.  The firmware seemed to be up to date already because I wasn't able to select the printer (it was "grayed out"). 

Again, thank you for your help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.