Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Hp Deskjet Ink Advantages 1515
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, I've been using Hp Printer (Hp Deskjet Ink Advantage 1515) for past years and had no problems getting a refill for the ink cartridges (Hp Ink Advantage 678 Black and Tri-color). Recently, I bought similar ink cartridges online and encountered ink cartridge failure (Cartridges listed above are damaged or have failed). When I compared the old and new cartridges (both showing Ink Advantage 678 but the printer copper plates were different in size, even the serial numbers were different). The older cartridges were 108A and the newer one was 107A. I bought another cartridge from another seller and turned out the same, all cartridges of 678 are now on the series of 107A and hence, none of them can be accountable for my printer. 

So, my questions are

1. Is there a modification of the ink cartridges 678? Is it possible to have the same series of ink cartridge 678 with different serial numbers?

2. In that case, what ink cartridges should I get for my printer as I've checked with Hp that the ink cartridge for my printer is series 678? 

Attached a photo of the comparison. The one on the left circled was the new ink that was recently bought. 

ink.jfif

Looking forward to hearing some feedback on this matter. Thank you very much. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There are 2 scenarios.

1st you bought 2 defective ink cartridge from 2 different buyers, very unlikely but possible. New ink cartridges can fail. The solution is to find someone that has the same printer as you to confirm 2 defective ink cartridge or to risk and buy a 3rd ink cartridge.

2nd your printer is defective, it can't recognise the black ink cartridge. The solution is to find someone that has the same printer as you to confirm 2 working ink cartridge. Try them again in your printer if they still don't work buy a new printer.

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

First of all your photo shows one colour ink cartridge ( right on the photo) and one black ink cartridge ( left on the photo and circled). The colour and black ink cartridge have different size copper plates that is normal.

HP 678 is number for series. CZ107A and CZ108A are part numbers or ordering numbers.

CZ107A is part number for black ink cartridge 678.

CZ108A is part number for tricolour ink cartridge 678.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thank you so much. My bad, I thought both the black and the tri-color should be the same copper plates. 

This means, my assumption of why my printer couldn't detect the ink was wrong because I initially thought it was due to the difference in copper plates. 

Once I placed in the black ink cartridge, my laptop is showing cartridge error which I've no idea. It is the correct series 678 which I've been using and I've tried other new cartridges (678) and still showing the same. 

Capture.JPG

I need help to troubleshoot this. I've tried all the ways recommended by Hp but to no avail. Looking forward to having some feedback. Thank you once again. 

HP Recommended

There are 2 scenarios.

1st you bought 2 defective ink cartridge from 2 different buyers, very unlikely but possible. New ink cartridges can fail. The solution is to find someone that has the same printer as you to confirm 2 defective ink cartridge or to risk and buy a 3rd ink cartridge.

2nd your printer is defective, it can't recognise the black ink cartridge. The solution is to find someone that has the same printer as you to confirm 2 working ink cartridge. Try them again in your printer if they still don't work buy a new printer.

My profile on LinkedIn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.