Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4526
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Several days ago I got a "cartridge problem" error for my black (I think) cartridge.
The message I have on my printer is: not compatible cartridges. I'm an HP ink subscriber, so I recieve my cartridges directly from HP.  By definition I use the correct cartridges, because I pay and recieve it directly from HP.  Also my printer worked perfectly after I installed the new cartridges, but suddenly after some print jobs not anymore.  I've tried all the troubleshooting steps as shown on the support website for this error with no resolution (cleaned contacts on cartridge & printer, pulled pwer cord to reset printer, reseated cartridge). I would like to request a new cartridge as I don't have one on hand. I can't get through to live chat or phone support.
And also if it's a problem with the cartridge I would like to have it for free, because this one is normally still full of ink.

Thanks for your swift reply and help!!

My internet connection is wireless.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok, I found the answer.
I put this morning an old used cartridge in the printer and everything works again.
For sure, it's the new cartridge that cause the problem. What I don't understand that the new one worked perfectly fine and did several print jobs and suddenly out of the blue it doesn't work anymore???

Please HP give an answer soon en send me new cartridges for free. Because it's not normal that this is happening. The broken and new cartridge is an XL and still full of ink!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Ok, I found the answer.
I put this morning an old used cartridge in the printer and everything works again.
For sure, it's the new cartridge that cause the problem. What I don't understand that the new one worked perfectly fine and did several print jobs and suddenly out of the blue it doesn't work anymore???

Please HP give an answer soon en send me new cartridges for free. Because it's not normal that this is happening. The broken and new cartridge is an XL and still full of ink!

HP Recommended

@Valérie1

Glad to know that the issue is resolved with cartridge replacement.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region to get a replacement for the defective ink.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried to change my printer cartridge but received an error message that the cartridge is not compatible. I can't replace the new cartridge with my old one because it's depleted. My printer was purchased in the US and I bought a US-compatible cartridge (HP 950XL) as a replacement even though we're currently stationed in Europe. Can this be the problem?

HP Recommended

Hi @lcamp1210

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

If the printer and the ink cartridges were bought in the same region, then this is not a regionalization case. It could be that the ink cartridge is defective.

Kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document to resolve this issue.

Insert one ink cartridge at a time and check for the error to identify the defective ink cartridge. If the error persists, please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much! You were spot on. I greatly appreciate your help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.