Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Office jet 8720

I dis enrolled in instant ink since my kids are on their on and we only print a few pages a year.  Didn't seem to make sense. Equally nonsensical is not allowing me to continue using cartridges currently installed.  Further exasperating is not being able to discuss with anyone.  How might I engage in a mean full convo with HP?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The above is one of the biggest misconceptions regarding the Instant Ink program.  When you sign up for the Instant Ink program you are NOT purchasing ink, you are purchasing a subscription to a set number of pages per month.  The ink is supplied, but remains the property of HP and must be returned if you cancel the program in accordance with the terms of service.  See sections 5.d and 9.c of the terms of service here.

You will need to purchase retail cartridges to continue using your printer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks Bob. It is indeed a great misconception. I feel like it’s quite deceptive. It’s not the business model is famous for. Sad, really

HP Recommended

Sorry if you feel deceived.  If cartridges continued to work after the subscription was cancelled there would be a great incentive to sign up, get the generally-larger-than-XL cartridges and then cancel the subscription.  While I would be happy to get $150 of cartridges for my Officejet Pro 8620 for $1.99 it would not be a sustainable model for HP or any supplier.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I think this is where some common sense should apply as it is not environmentally friendly to have to return part used cartridges like this. If someone has subscribed for a while then allow the cartridges to run out but if someone is a new subscriber who is gaming the system in the way you describe, then brick them. This way they protect the business model but also prevent waste.

The advertising is also not that clear - it is all based around getting the ink and the only place I have found so far that covers them 'bricking' the cartridges is in the lengthly legalise T&C's and not in the FAQs. These just state that that if you cancel you can go back to using retail cartridges, not that the existing ones will become unusable.

All that said, I like Instant Ink as it is saving me money, which is why my new printer is a HP too and already in the program.

HP Recommended

The Instant Ink subscription is like a subscription to Netflix.  If you cancel the Netflix subscription you can no longer watch Netflix.

The printer is not "bricked", but HP's cartridges must be returned and will no longer work after the subscription ends.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.