Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
none yet

My current printer (D1460 - which is probably 10+ years old) is proving quite wasteful as cartridges dry out before they've had much use.  My printing use is fairly erratic and I am looking at purchasing a basic HP printer with instant ink - starting with the free monthly plan and paying extra as and when needed.  Before purchase I would like to know the following:

• My preference is to turn the printer on only when needed - can you confirm that the page count / ink usage will still update if I do this (I realise from reading other posts that HP suggest it is best to leave on, but for environmental reasons & due to infrequency of use I would prefer not to) 
  • Is the monthly use calculated based on a calendar month?
  • Is there a way of seeing the monthly page count on the printer itself  (so I can monitor my own usage)?

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@mihe, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Find the answers to your questions below-

Yes, you can turn on the printer when needed but ensure the printer is connected to the network when powered on.

Monthly billing cycle

For customers enrolling with a free trial promotion or during printer setup:
Instant Ink service starts the day you enroll. This enables you to keep track of your page counts after you enroll, so you can make sure you are on the right page plan before your free trial ends. The first billing cycle will end about 30 days after you enroll.

For customers enrolling with established printers:
Instant Ink service will begin when you insert one or more Instant Ink cartridges.

Ongoing billing:
You will be charged each month at the end of the billing cycle. Since your monthly plan fee is the same every month, we will not send you a bill prior to charging your monthly fee, unless you print additional pages.

When you print additional pages during your billing cycle, we will send you an email at the end of your billing cycle, that lists your monthly fee and the charges for any additional sets of pages you printed. Remember to keep your printer connected to the internet, so you can get notifications about your HP Instant Ink account.

Check Your Usage

Log in to your account at hpinstantink.com/users/signin. Here you can see how many pages you've printed, available rollover pages, estimated next bill, and much more. You can update your payment method, change your address or your plan, and even chat with a Support agent.

Refer to the document FAQ's - HP Instant Ink for additional help.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.