Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP RGS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all!

Loving HP RGS. I finally got my setup where I want it and I couldn't be happier! Just have one last issue to report in about, was hoping one of the devs might be able to chime in here as I think I know what the issue is (I could be wrong though)

I am 100% willing to test it if I happen to be correct and the devs are willing to roll out a patch to address it or help me troubleshoot. I am on the latest version (7.4) and my sender is a Windows 10 x64 machine with the latest updates (v 1709)

I noticed in some graphically intense applications that 'capture' the mouse and keyboard, such as video game engines/sdks, the mouse suddenly becomes incredibly unresponsive and the keyboard will occasionally stop reporting keystrokes.

In normal windowed applications that don't capture the mouse, everything functions perfectly. According to the research I've done on the topic, this has to do with how the remote protocol, in this case RGS, polls the mouse position/keyboard keystrokes and how applications report this information.

According to this post on the NVIDIA forums, the GRID SDK, which I assume RGS uses for NVENC and NVDEC, contains code for handling mouse/keyboard input. I've tested this same system over NVIDIA's gamestream protocol using both the gamestream client and Moonlight (an open source 3rd party client) and under the gamestream protocol these fullscreen and/or mouse capturing applications report the mouse position and keyboard strokes correctly.

Would it be possible to implement NVIDIA's input handling in RGS given a graphics enabled pair (sender/receiver)?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Quick question.  Have you enabled "Game Mode" in RGS?  This is from the user guide: 

"Game Mode lets you lock the cursor inside the RGS Receiver window to perform functions that rely on relative cursor movements, such as 3D environment interaction. If Game Mode is not enabled, such interactions might cause erratic cursor behavior. The default state of Game Mode (enabled or disabled) can be set using the RGS Receiver Configuration tool, and Game Mode can be toggled on and off while RGS Receiver is in Setup Mode by pressing the G key."

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended
I have not. I didn't even see that and I've been over the guide 3 or 4 times now. That is most likely my issue! Thank you, I apologise for incorrectly reporting it as a bug. I'll try it out in a minute to see if I can't get my engines running and report back later!
HP Recommended

Hey! Reporting back in! The game mode did not resolve my weird mouse issues. I tested with the CryEngine SDK, Unreal Engine, Minecraft, and Fallout 4. Any application that takes control of the mouse results in weird mouse behavior. In game mode, the mouse buttons function, however the mouse refuses to move the cursor. In Fallout, clicking the mouse button resulted in the cursor updating its position, I don't know if that information is of any use. The keyboard appears to function correctly for the most part.

For reference my full setup is as follows:

Thin Client:

HP T730 w/ Quadro P400 installed

CentOS 7.4

Latest NVIDIA Cuda packages

Remote Sender:

Windows 10 KVM Virtual Machine w/ GTX 1080 (GPU Passthrough)

Latest NVIDIA Cuda packages

Any ideas on where I could go to start the debugging process on this?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Since your sender is Windows 10, did you install the vMouseSetup.exe that is packaged with RGS?  We have seen behavior on Win 8, 8.1. and 10 where the mouse disappears, or works at times, etc. Unfortunately I have tried twice to attach it, and no go.  Thanks for providing your setup!

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hey Kelly!

Just checked on my mouse drivers in my guest and I did not have the vMouse driver installed. I installed it and it appears now as an HID Compliant mouse device in my system. Unfortunately I think I have another step or two to go before I can test it.

My VMs are all being run from the Proxmox hypervisor which uses KVM/QEMU on the backend. It has a similar console interface as VMWare and uses a generic mouse device driver similar to VMWare as well. Until now the Proxmox mouse driver was being used, and it appears as if I can't simply disable this device from device manager in my Windows guests. So I'll need to look into that tomorrow in order to test the HP Vmouse.

I can however swap in different drivers for this device via the update drivers option in my VMs device manager. So for shiggles, I extracted the VMWare mouse driver from an old VMWare Tools download I had when I was testing out ESXi and applied that driver to my VMs default mouse. Interestingly, I get a little bit better performance out of this driver in mouse capturing applications. The behavior is still a little odd however. I believe this is a sign that I'm on the right track though.

Thank you for pointing out that vmousesetup, yet another detail I must have glanced over.

HP Recommended

Hey, I've run into the same problem. Just curious if you were able to find a solution to the cursor having erradtic behavior and freezing when game mode is enabled.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.