Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
C4380
macOS 10.12 Sierra

My C4380 printer was working fine on my wifi.

I was obliged by HW failure to switch networks - and I cannot now connect the printer by wifi, only by USB from my desktop which means noone else on my network can see it.

I trawled the web for an answer - no joy. Many of the multiplicity of HP web pages claim to know to do it, but none of the work for me. Does anyone know?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me @GP2014,

When setting up the printer over the network, make sure you are connecting to the main network.

I have provided some information that I hope is helpful in getting the printer recognized on the network.
Make sure there isn't any spaces or special characters in the network name, the printer may not recognize it.
The printer is only capable of sending/receiving in the 2.4 GHZ band.
If the router is set to 5 GHZ network you may need to change to 2.4 GHZ. (rename the 5 GHZ or shut it off)
The WPA key setting needs to be on AES to work correctly not TKIP.
Multi casting needs to be turned on.
Firewall on the router has to have open ports for the printer.
If you have Mac Filtering you need to give printer hardware address from Configuration page.

You might need to contact your router company for further assistance to check those settings and configure the routers.

Make sure Safari is set as the default browser. (sometimes the EWS won't open if it isn't set as the default)

Open Safari, across the top, select the Safari menu, select Preferences, General, set as default.

Double check you Encryption: Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password (Mac).

Hope that helps. Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings @GP2014,

I hope you will enjoy your experience on the HP Support Forums! I see by your post that you are unable to setup the printer over the new network. I would like to help.

Since there isn't full software available, I will provide steps for configuring the printer over an Adhoc connection and then converting it to infrastructure. (your network)

To restore network defaults: 

1. Press the Wireless button on the front of the HP All-in-One.

2. Press the button next to the icon on the display until Restore Network Defaults is highlighted, and then press the button next to OK.

3. Confirm that you want to restore the network defaults.

Click the Airport near the top right corner on the Mac.
Click on the HP printer from the list.
It takes about 3 minutes to connect.
Once you get a solid blue light on the printer, it is connected successfully.

You won't be connected to your network for a bit, while we setup the printer on the network.

Print out the configuration page to get the printer's IPv4 address.

Open up your web browser, (Safari) type in the IPv4 address for the printer.

This will load the Embedded Web Server for the printer.

Now we can configure the printer over the wireless network.

Click on the Networking tab, on the left side click on Wireless, fill out your information for the network. (SSID-Network Name, set it to infrastructure, fill in your passwords and encryption type)
Apply the settings.

Now go back to the Airport near the top right corner on the Mac and select your network name.

We just have to add the network printer on the Mac now.

Click on the Apple.
Click system preferences, click the print and scan icon, then click the + sign, then select the printer from the list,  click on Add. (you might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name to add it in)

Test the printer.

If you appreciate the help, click the "Accept as Solution" and the "Thumbs Up". Please keep me posted. Regards,

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

With your help, I can now connect to the printer via its network "hpsetup".

In the "Networking/Wirless/Advanced" tabs, I have selected "infrastructure" and inserted the name of the network I wish to connect it to and its WPA2 password, and selected "aplly".

But nothing happens until the printer eventually (after c. 5 mins) apparently closes its 'server' as indicated in the browser window. I can get no further.

Before following your instructions, I have restarted the printer and disconnected the USB cable I was using to access the printer.

Any further ideas/advice to get in on to wifi welcome.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

With your help, I can now connect to the printer via its network "hpsetup".

In the "Networking/Wirless/Advanced" tabs, I have selected "infrastructure" and inserted the name of the network I wish to connect it to and its WPA2 password, and selected "apply".

But nothing happens until the printer eventually (after c. 5 mins) apparently closes its 'server' as indicated in the browser window. I can get no further.

Before following your instructions, I restarted the printer and disconnected the USB cable I was using to access the printer.

Any further ideas/advice to get in on to wifi welcome.

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me @GP2014,

When setting up the printer over the network, make sure you are connecting to the main network.

I have provided some information that I hope is helpful in getting the printer recognized on the network.
Make sure there isn't any spaces or special characters in the network name, the printer may not recognize it.
The printer is only capable of sending/receiving in the 2.4 GHZ band.
If the router is set to 5 GHZ network you may need to change to 2.4 GHZ. (rename the 5 GHZ or shut it off)
The WPA key setting needs to be on AES to work correctly not TKIP.
Multi casting needs to be turned on.
Firewall on the router has to have open ports for the printer.
If you have Mac Filtering you need to give printer hardware address from Configuration page.

You might need to contact your router company for further assistance to check those settings and configure the routers.

Make sure Safari is set as the default browser. (sometimes the EWS won't open if it isn't set as the default)

Open Safari, across the top, select the Safari menu, select Preferences, General, set as default.

Double check you Encryption: Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password (Mac).

Hope that helps. Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks Gemini02.

I went back over the steps you set out. Then, whilst checking the points you added (all compliant from the begining), I noticed that the printer was now connected to my Time Capsule. So I tried a print - and it worked.

This is in spite of the fact that the browser 'accept' process to change the printer's network connectivity seemed not to have completed (as I said in my last, "nothing happened").

Ahhh . . . the abundant mysteries of HP products . . . .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.