Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610, Officejet Pro 8720, Pagewide Pro 772dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Event logs on Officejet Pro 8610, Officejet Pro 8720, Pagewide Pro 772dw:

On 3 different printers at 2 different sites and with 2 different PCs, attempting to view the event log report through the EWS results in the error "Network connection error. Check network and try again." The error does not occur with any other report query and there are no other known network errors.

All 3 printers are at the latest firmware revision avaiiable. All three have both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled but the EWS is accessed using the IPv4 address.

These logs were viewable at least as recently as September 2019.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@trs3

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Make sure your wired (Ethernet) or wireless network is working correctly and the printer is connected.

1. Make sure the printer is not connect with a USB cable.

NOTE: When a USB cable is connected to the printer, the printer cannot connect to Web Services.
  2. If you are using a wireless router, check your router’s documentation or support website to make sure it meets the following requirements:

• Check the router band: Many routers can operate in both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequency bands, but not all HP printers support both bands. Make sure the 2.4 GHz router band is enabled and broadcasting. If the router broadcasts separate network names (SSIDs) for each band, connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz band SSID. If the printer supports 5.0 GHz, connect it to the 5.0 GHz band SSID.

3. Make sure your printer is not connected to a guest or host network, such as those networks found in schools, hotels, or home networks that allow guest logins. For more information see Can't Print on a Guest or Host Network.

4. Confirm the printer is connected to the network.

• Wireless network connection: On the printer, open the Wireless Network or Settings menu to verify the wireless feature is turned on, and then make sure the Wireless icon  light is solid and blue.

If the wireless light is blue and blinks, move the computer and printer closer to the router, position the devices away from large metal objects such as bookcases, and move the printer away from devices that emit radio signals such as microwaves and cordless phones. Reconnect the printer to your network, and then make sure the wireless light is blue and solid. If your printer frequently drops the wireless connection, go to Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection for detailed troubleshooting steps.

• Wired (Ethernet) network connection: Check that the cable is connected to the printer Ethernet port  and to an available port on the router. The green link light should be steady, and the orange activity light should blink when the cable is connected.

Figure : Connect the cable to the printer and to the router

Connect the Ethernet cable to the printer and to the router
  5. On your computer, click the network icon  or  in the menu bar to view the network name and status of the connection.

• If the selected network is not yours (for instance, if you connected to a neighbor's or a guest network), you must reconnect to your own network before turning on Web Services.

• If the network signal strength is weak, move the computer and printer closer to the router, position the devices away from large metal objects such as bookcases, and move the printer away from devices that emit radio signals such as microwaves and cordless phones.

• If the network status is not connected, confirm your network is working correctly, and then check the status again. Make sure a check mark or connected status displays next to the network name.

6. Try to turn on Web Services.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Echo_Lake, but none of this applies.

The  problem is that one particular query type (event log) claims to have a network problem. No other query or operation has a problem.

There are no USB connections to any of the printers.

The connections between the PCs and the printers are both wired and wireless. Two of the printers are wired and connected to a wired PC. One is wireless, connected to a PC that is either wired or wireless.

The networks are, of course, working, or we wouldn't be discussing an error within the EWS.

Web Services are enabled on both Officejet Pros. There is no "Web Services" on the PageWide Pro MFP 772dw.

HP Recommended

@trs3

Thank you for posting back. 

If the router has a WPS push button, here's another way of connecting the printer - 

• 1) Press and hold the Wireless button on the printer for more than three seconds to start WPS push mode. The Wireless light starts blinking. 
  • 2) Press the WPS button on your router. 

NOTE: THE MOMENT YOU PRESS THE WIRELESS BUTTON ON YOUR PRINTER, WITHIN 30 SECONDS YOU SHOULD PRESS THE WPS BUTTON ON THE ROUTER. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

????

Did you miss "wired"?

Again, there is no network connectivity problem on any of the three printers. There is a problem with one query - the event log report - on all three printers.  NOTHING ELSE.

Can we spend some time on why there would be an error on only that one operation when everything else is fine?

HP Recommended

@trs3

Thank you for posting back. 

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.