Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi,

I am looking for some inexpensive and relatively new model printers that support direct PDF printing. (so, if I send PDF directly to printer thru Java application without using any other applications..)

thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You don't specify what sort of printer you want (monochrome, colour, laser, inkjet, monthly usage, etc.), nor what you mean by "inexpensive".

My LaserJet Pro 400 Colour MFP M475dn device (MFP equivalent of M451dn printer), with 192MB of memory, supports the Direct-PDF feature.

I'd guess that the successors to this model also support the feature.

In general, you'd probably need a LaserJet printer, and you'd almost certainly need one with at least 128MB of memory.

Few inkjet printers support Direct-PDF (or PCL5, or PCL6, or PostScript, come to that), unless you get one of the more-expensive 'business-oriented' models like the OfficeJet Pro X476.

... and you'll find that they only support certain PDF 'revision levels'; I think that current devices probably support level 1.7.

HP Recommended

Those printers are around $350 - $400 range.

My co-worker told me that he prints pdf doc directly with his HP LaserJet Pro P1102w($60 - this is price range that I am willing to spend.), but it has ony 8 MB memory when I checked the spec.

Since HP LaserJet Pro P1102w's language is "host based" which means GDI or equivalent, does the printer still support any language?

HP Recommended

Host-based printers do not support Direct-PDF printing, so your co-worker must be mistaken.

He may be thinking that highlighting a PDF file in File Explorer, then selecting Print from the right-click context menu  will perform a Direct-PDF print, but this is not the case.

It will invoke the Print function of whatever application (e.g. Adobe Reader) has been associated with the .pdf file type, which will make use of the printer driver to convert the PDF data to the host-based format required by the target device.

HP Recommended

Can you tell me if Direct Pdf printing is available for HP LaserJet CP1025nw color?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.