Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5660
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have had the printer for a few years with no issues but suddendly I am unable to print wirelessly. However can print via usb and via email to device. I had replaced the router recently so I setup wireless settings again but didn't resolve it. Have already tried to reset the printer and remove drivers/software from PC. Printer shows connected but when I print it just falls out of the queue like it did print even though it didn't with no errors. Have tried the Print and Scan Doctor and it fails on the test page but the application freezes after that test. Only other interesting note is that if I try to get to Printer Preferences it gives me a protection fault error but still allows me in. I'm several hours into troubleshooting. Anyone have additional ideas?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello Vtmustangs,

Kindly check if there are any Windows Updates to be installed ? If yes, first intall the Windows updates. Restart the PC . 

Now try printing. 

Since you have a different Wireless router, check if its DUAL Band ( 2.4GHz and 5 GHz. ) Your printer works on with 2.4GHz.

You may also try the steps as mentioned in the below URL...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249080

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hey Jabzi,

No Windows Updates available and I do have a dual band router but printer will only connect to 2.4GHz band. Was a replacement of the exact same router. The printer doesn't show up as offline either as it shows as Idle in Printers & Scanners and as Ready in application like Word.

HP Recommended

Hello, 

Kindly try the HP SMART APP . Below is the URL for the same.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04675142

Regards,
Jabzi

HP Recommended

I assume you were referring to trying to print a document from inside the app? If so there is an error attached.HP Envy Error.PNG

HP Recommended

That is TRUE.

Let me know if it works. 

Regards,
Jabzi

HP Recommended

It won't let me print. If you look at the screenshot it shows an error in red text (Not very easy to see) and the Print button is disabled.

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I'd suggest you to do the following...

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Power off the Wireless Router .
  3. While the printer is ON, unplug the power cord from back of the printer.
  4. Wait for 60 seconds.
  5. First Power ON the wireless ROUTER, then PC and then plug in the power cord to Printer. If printer does not power on automatically, then press the ON button to do so.
  6. Now try printing.
  7. If issue still persists, You may have uninstall the printer software , Restart the PC and then download the software and install it.
Regards,
Jabzi

HP Recommended

I tried the steps you outlined 1-6 and it didn't work. I also uninstalled the printer software, removed the drivers, restarted computer then reinstalled full software from HP and then tried to print and it still didn't work.

HP Recommended

Hello Vtmustangs,

Could quickly try printing using NOTEPAD. Let me know if it works ?

Regards,
Jabzi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.