Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp OfficeJet 6500A Plus E710-n-z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I lost my wirless connection after installing a Google Wifi Router. This device does NOT support WPS. Therefore when i go into the web panel on the printer and it asks for WPS passphrase, there is none. I tried going into Advanced setting and manually setting the Ip address,default gateway and netmask, but it doesn't seem to take and reverts of defaults to automatic. The printer can see my new router SSID but thats it. This Google wireless router is dual-band (ie it has both 2.4 and 5g) but it doesn't allow you to create separate dual-band ssid, only a single ssid.  Is connection via ethernet gonna be my only solution?  By the way I also have a Deskjet 3510 series that was connected via wirless but thank goodness it had a usb connection available so it still works. Any help or assistance will be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@shockwaveriderz,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from your post that you're having issues connecting your HP OfficeJet printer to the new network. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

After doing a bit of research, I found that Google Wifi supports WPA2, which is the latest and most popular Wi-Fi encryption protocol. This makes sure that only people with the correct passphrase can join your wireless network.

Google Wifi doesn't support older protocols like WPA and WEP because they have been deemed unsecure by the Wi-Fi Alliance and industry experts. There are also known and documented attacks against WEP and WPA. WPS, a mechanism that lets a device join a wireless network without entering a password, is also not supported for security reasons.

For more details, please follow this link: https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6309220?hl=en

Alternatively, your printer only supports 2.4 GHz network and you can try changing the channels between 6 or 11. 

In the meantime, let's try to restore the printer to the network defaults, then connect the printer to the home Wi-Fi network and then setup your printer. 

Let's restore the printer to the network defaults:

To reset the printer's network settings

1. Touch Network, touch Restore Network Defaults, and then select Yes. A

message appears stating that the network defaults have been restored.

Now Print the Network configuration page to check if the printer is restored.

2. Touch Reports, and then select Print Network Configuration Page to print the

network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset

Let’s start by performing a network power drain. Follow the steps below:

Turn off all the devices connected on your network including the PC, Smartphones, printer, modem (if present) and router. Make sure all the devices in the network are turned off / unplugged.

Wait for 2-3 minutes.

Now turn on the modem if present. Wait till all the lights are steady and idle.

Then turn on the router. Again wait for a couple of minutes so that the lights are all steady.

Then turn on the PC and other devices.

Now Run the Wireless setup wizard on the printer to connect to the network: 

1. Set up the printer hardware. See the getting started guide or the setup poster that came with

your printer.

2. On the printer control panel, touch right arrow, and then select Network.

3. Touch Wireless, select Wireless Setup Wizard, and then touch OK.

4. Follow the display instructions to complete the setup.

I would suggest you uninstall the printer drivers from the root level and then reinstall them by following the below steps:

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here(Please select the correct version and then install the full feature software for your printer).
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

once the printer is connected using USB, Now follow the steps to HP Printers - Changing from a USB to a Wireless Connection

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Additonal network information: I do a ipconfig /all and it shows me my ip on my pc, its default gateway and netmask.....on the google wifi app it says that the dhcp ip address pool is 192.168.86.20 thru 192.168.86.250.  so i go into the hp printer screen and goto advanced setup where it allows me to enter 192.168.0.1 a my default gateway, 255.255.255.0 as my subnet mask and then i pick at random an ip within the dhcp address range , 192.168.86.100... they appear to enter and stay but when i say done on all three, and back out of the menu it reverts to automatic on all three. I tried to add the printer with a ststic ip in the google app, and the google wifi app doesn't see the printer. I also reset the network on the printer back to its factory default. no help. TIA

HP Recommended

@shockwaveriderz,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from your post that you're having issues connecting your HP OfficeJet printer to the new network. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

After doing a bit of research, I found that Google Wifi supports WPA2, which is the latest and most popular Wi-Fi encryption protocol. This makes sure that only people with the correct passphrase can join your wireless network.

Google Wifi doesn't support older protocols like WPA and WEP because they have been deemed unsecure by the Wi-Fi Alliance and industry experts. There are also known and documented attacks against WEP and WPA. WPS, a mechanism that lets a device join a wireless network without entering a password, is also not supported for security reasons.

For more details, please follow this link: https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6309220?hl=en

Alternatively, your printer only supports 2.4 GHz network and you can try changing the channels between 6 or 11. 

In the meantime, let's try to restore the printer to the network defaults, then connect the printer to the home Wi-Fi network and then setup your printer. 

Let's restore the printer to the network defaults:

To reset the printer's network settings

1. Touch Network, touch Restore Network Defaults, and then select Yes. A

message appears stating that the network defaults have been restored.

Now Print the Network configuration page to check if the printer is restored.

2. Touch Reports, and then select Print Network Configuration Page to print the

network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset

Let’s start by performing a network power drain. Follow the steps below:

Turn off all the devices connected on your network including the PC, Smartphones, printer, modem (if present) and router. Make sure all the devices in the network are turned off / unplugged.

Wait for 2-3 minutes.

Now turn on the modem if present. Wait till all the lights are steady and idle.

Then turn on the router. Again wait for a couple of minutes so that the lights are all steady.

Then turn on the PC and other devices.

Now Run the Wireless setup wizard on the printer to connect to the network: 

1. Set up the printer hardware. See the getting started guide or the setup poster that came with

your printer.

2. On the printer control panel, touch right arrow, and then select Network.

3. Touch Wireless, select Wireless Setup Wizard, and then touch OK.

4. Follow the display instructions to complete the setup.

I would suggest you uninstall the printer drivers from the root level and then reinstall them by following the below steps:

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here(Please select the correct version and then install the full feature software for your printer).
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

once the printer is connected using USB, Now follow the steps to HP Printers - Changing from a USB to a Wireless Connection

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet: thank you for your response.  I have lost the original usb cable that came with printer so I've had to order a new one. Since i needed to scan and print some things I currently have it connected via ethernet.  It's been so long I had forgotten that this printer even had an usb connection. As soon as the usb cable arrives i will follow your instructions for an usb to wireless connection. I will post back my results here in the near future.

HP Recommended

@shockwaveriderz,

Thank you for replying,
Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,
It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.
And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet_singh: I just wanted you to know that your instructions worked perfectly. I now have my HP Officejet 6500A Plus connected via Wifi. I also gave you a thumbs up and accepted your answer as the solution. Thanks for your help and assistance.

HP Recommended

@shockwaveriderz,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.