Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an interesting problem on our HP Envy 5540 that's recently started happening.  The printer seems to miss lines from printed text only.   The printer is only a year old, it's mostly used to print recipes or scan in documents (the attachments to this were scanned in just fine). 

I've tried printing from three different computers, from two different browsers, Microsoft Word, and Notepad, all with the same results where some lines simply do not print.  I've removed all instances of HP software and drivers from my system, purged the printer from Control Panel and downloaded the current version that is online (EN5540_Full_WebPack_1119.exe, digitally signed March 27, 2017).  I've gone through all the steps outlined for a hard reset of the printer, I've also gone through all the steps outlined for resolving copy problems and poor print quality.

Printing the Demo Page looks fine, printing the alignment page is mostly fine (until you get to the block of text at the bottom), but a test page (and any other page composed of text) gets problematic, where it'll skip every few lines.

With it being able to print images, but not text, I'm at a loss.  What's the next step?

alignment pagealignment pagedemo pagedemo pagetest pagetest page

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SeanWPaul

Welcome to HP Forums, 
This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips. Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

I see that you have already tried the steps suggested in the "Fixing Poor Print Quality" document. 

If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you clean the ink cartridges again. You can also try manually cleaning the area around the ink nozzles.

For instruction on how to manually clean the cartridge, refer to Step 12:  Click here

If you have already tried those steps and issue persists, I suggest calling our phone support regarding the replacement cartridge.
1) Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
2) Select the product type.
3) Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.
4) Select the country from the drop-down.
5) You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Roopa-S
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Has this been sorted as their obviously is a fault. Mine happened when I changed the black cartridge but how do I quickly get another? Difficult when I get them automatically.

No tool to deal with missing lines and Print Alignment doesn't work as the printed page is faulty.

Looking for some help HP!

HP Recommended

OK I've fixed it. Problem was caused when I changed the black cartridge. For some reason black ink feed was then not adequate. Cleaned down to 3 levels. At first no improvement then left for 1 hour switched off. Switched on. Printed alignment page with black omitted previously. Aligned OK and now prints all text. May have neen caused by not replacing black cart for a while then printing quite a bit when it Had run out.

Recommendation - provide instructions and if possible modify programme so that there is an adequate tool to fix this. Evidently, 3 levels of cleaning still don't do the job. If a badly printed alignment page is printed it won't align.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.