10-08-2017 04:39 PM
I have an HP envy 5540. Everything checks out on the printer. However when I try to print black ink nothing shows up. The printer feeds the page through and sounds like it's printing but nothing is printed on the page. I have checked the ink levels and everything else I can think of but I can't get it to print black ink. Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
10-08-2017 07:11 PM
Thanks for stopping by the HP community. A very good day to you. I reviewed the post regarding issues with the printer not printing in black. Superb description and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂
For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:
- Did you try to copy directly from the computer and check?
- Did this happen after a power outage or surge?
- Did you replace ink cartridges and check again?
For now, try these steps:
- Make 2 copies directly from the printer without any communication from the computer to eliminate hardware issues.
If it copies fine, then uninstall and reinstall the printer software by following these steps:
- Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
- Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
- Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top.
- Click on print server properties.
- You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
- Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
- Restart the PC.
- Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box,
- Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
- It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
- If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
- Ignore the Regedit option if it cannot be done.
- Restart the PC again.
Then download the latest full feature driver http://hp.care/2rIgkZ5 and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.
Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.
This should do the trick for you.
If it fails to copy correctly, Please follow all the prescribed steps from this link: http://hp.care/2tjHwxe for fixing print quality issues.
If there are no hardware issues then it should get fixed. Otherwise please contact HP phone support to get the cartridges or printer replaced.
HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP
- Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
- Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
- Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
- Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.
They will be happy to assist you immediately.
If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.
Please perform these steps one at a time. The trick is to remain patient. Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat.
Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.
Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂
I am an HP Employee
01-12-2020 04:39 PM
Hi, I have followed your instructions but there is no options in the PAPER/QUALITY tab for colour at all. I have the latest drivers, I have deleted the old versions in the registry and restarted the laptop many times. There are just no colour options on this driver for printing without colour? Please help
01-14-2020 05:25 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Community!
I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.
In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.
- What is the exact model for your printer?
- What is the operating system you are using?
- Are you able to make a copy in color?
- Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
- Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?
Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!
I am an HP Employee