Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3831
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Community,

Went to print an Amazon return label today and there was no black output on the printed page, colour content was present but faded. Printed test page from printer and it was similarly missing all the black parts. I am in the instant ink programme so cartridges are official HP.

Steps undertaken:

1. Cleaned print heads - print quality report is still missing all black elements

2. Attempted to align print heads - process failed as there is no black elements on the printout and so it is not recognised at the scanning step

3. Changed print cartridges for new - received via instant ink programme. Ink status now shows full.

4. Printed print quality report - still missing all black elements

5. Cleaned print heads - no change

6. Reinstalled printer driver and hp software, restarted

7. Printed print quality report - still missing all black elements

The printer is used a few times per month for a few pages at a time, so not heavy usage, and it is under 1 year old. I have now done the cleaning step multiple times. As I understand it, the print heads are part of the cartridge, so clogged nozzles should have been resolved by replacement with new cartridges. Attempting to print from the PC, or a test print direct from the printer makes no difference. Similarly, printing from a different application (e.g. an Adobe PDF or a Word file) makes no difference. None of the black elements make it onto the page.

I'm unsure what to do next - any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Bab1234 ,

Welcome to the HP Support-Community.

Please check out the following:

Take a handkerchief and the black cartridge. Now press the cartridge like a stamp on the handkerchief for about 2-3 seconds. You should see a strong,black strip. Is this the case?
If there is no or very little ink on the handkerchief, moisten the handkerchief slightly and press the cartridge again, this time for about 30 seconds on it, until more ink comes out.
Afterwards, re-insert the cartridge and run a cartridge clean, if necessary.

What is the result?

If these steps doesn't help, just let me know!  😊

Best,

Nils_K

Did you get a solution to your question? Please mark it as solved.

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

I don't work on behalf of HP. | HP Expert program 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Bab1234 ,

Please check out the following:

Take a handkerchief and the black cartridge. Now press the cartridge like a stamp on the handkerchief for about 2-3 seconds. You should see a strong,black strip. Is this the case?
If there is no or very little ink on the handkerchief, moisten the handkerchief slightly and press the cartridge again, this time for about 30 seconds on it, until more ink comes out.
Afterwards, re-insert the cartridge and run a cartridge clean, if necessary.

What is the result?

If these steps doesn't help, just let me know!  😊

Best,

Nils_K

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

HP Recommended

Thanks Nilks_K,

I had to repeat this step multiple times, because while I could get ink to flow into the damp rag, this did not result in consistent print quality until I'd removed and cleaned the head, then run the cleaning cycle (level 1 and level 2) several times. After this I manged to get an acceptable print out, but will only know with time if this is maintained or it dries up again.

My concern is for the paper and ink/print attempts wasted as I'm in the instant ink scheme and am charged per page (all up to now, useless). But I will take this up with support when/if I receive a bill (not sure if cleaning counts towards the quota) or if the problem reoccurs.

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

I have followed the instructions and can get black ink on the damp rag, have run a Clean Printhead, but still the black ink does not print. I have tried two different ink cartridges, neither are printing black ink.  What else can I try?

HP Recommended

Hi @RuthHay ,

If there is ink on the damp rag I suppose that there is a communication problem between printer and cartridge. Please clean the electrical contacts. To do so, use these manual:

HP inkjet printers - Cleaning the Contacts

Best,

Nils_K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.