slachney1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OfficeJet 7740 Ink Cartridge not Compatible

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this printer a few months ago and it has been fine. When I purchased it, I immediately wanted to buy another set of ink so that when the included cartridges ran out, I would have some on hand. Although inside the printer door it says to use 954 cartridges, those do not seem to be available anywhere, so I went on HP's site to find compatible cartridges. HP said to use 952, so that is what I bought. 

Today, my black ink ran out, so I replaced it with a 952 cartridge. The printer had an error message which said "The indicated cartridges are not intended for use in this printer." 

I spent an hour online chatting with tech support who determined something must be wrong with the cartridge and they would send me a replacement. It will be delivered on December 30, and while I am grateful for the replacement, this does not help me print TODAY or for the next 18 days.

I went to Office Depot and purchased another 952 black cartridge to use in the meantime. Same message. I removed all cartridges, turned off the printer, unplugged the printer, turned the printer back on, installed all new cartridges and got the same message again.

What is going on? If the 952 cartridges are not compatible with the 7740, why aren't the 954 cartridges available?

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19,726 19,714 1,302 1,969
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OfficeJet 7740 Ink Cartridge not Compatible

@slachney1,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation