Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer will not print envelopes, error message mismatched paper size.  It will print on 8.5 by 11 plain paper.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@gford

Checking the Specifications

The printer should be able to print at least some sizes and types of "standard" envelopes from Tray 1 - such is supported in the Specifications

Tray
Type
Weight
Capacity
Tray 1
Paper
60 to 105 g/m2 (16 to 28 lb bond)
Up to 250 sheets of plain paper (25 mm [1 inch] stacked)
Photo paper
250 g/m2 (66 lb bond)
Up to 100 sheets (17 mm [0.67 inch] stacked)
Envelopes
75 to 90 g/m2 (20 to 24 lb bond envelope)
Up to 30 sheets (17 mm [0.67 inch] stacked)
Cards
Up to 200 g/m2 (110 lb index)
Up to 80 cards

note:
Load envelopes in Tray 1 only.
Paper type
Paper size
U.S. 10 envelope
105 x 241 mm (4.1 x 9.5 inches)
A2 envelope
111 x 146 mm (4.4 x 5.8 inches)
DL envelope
110 x 220 mm (4.3 x 8.7 inches)
C5 envelope
162 x 229 mm ( 6.4 x 9.0 inches)
C6 envelope
114 x 162 mm (4.5 x 6.4 inches)
Monarch envelope
98 x 191 mm (3.9 x 7.5 inches)
Card envelope
111 x 152 mm (4.4 x 6.0 inches)
Chou #3 envelope
120 x 235 mm (4.7 x 9.3 inches)
Chou #4 envelope
90 x 205 mm (3.5 x 8.1 inches)

The Basics - How to Print Envelopes

Continue ONLY if needful...

Creating Custom Paper Size Form

If the envelope you are attempting to print is not a "standard" size as available in the Paper Size list, create a Custom Size form for your envelope.

Creating Custom Paper Sizes

IF the option is available on your computer / printer software...

Two methods to assign custom paper size forms:

Devices and Printers > Print Server Properties

and - for Windows 8.x - Windows 10

Preferences > Print Dialog > Paper / Quality > Custom setting

Example 1

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Left-Click on your Printer one time to highlight >

Left-Click Print Server Properties (along the top ribbon)

Example - Custom form envelope from Print Server Properties

Custom_Form_Envelope_5x7Custom_Form_Envelope_5x7

Example 2

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Right-Click on your Printer > If necessary, select printer from drop down menu / list

Printing Preferences > tab Paper/Quality > Custom

Using the Custom Size envelope form

Once created, the form (custom paper size) might be available in Word as a selectable size.  If that is not the case, you can still create a "custom" envelope size in Word.

General Example:

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_A9_2Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_A9_2

Telling the printer about the envelopes in the tray

The printer may not be aware that you have loaded envelopes (of any size) into Tray 1.

In the case of envelopes in the tray, and because only an envelope of a "standard thickness" is supported regardless of size, the main "concern" is that the printer is aware that something other than a regular size sheet of paper is loaded into the tray.

Unlike its smarter (and newer) cousin (Officejet Pro 8700 series), the 8610 likely does not support the paper modifications settings on the printer control panel (if it does so, I cannot find it after a quick check of the 8630).

The following applies (at least) to using Word > Mailings > Envelope

Try / Consider:

1. If the "paper size mismatch" persists after correcting the entries in the Word print dialog (properties / preferences),
  2. If the printer is on the network,
  3. Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to set the Preferences > Paper Settings >
  4. If the Envelope size is in the available "Size list", Custom Paper Settings to that envelope size
  5. If the Envelope size is not in the list, select / set Custom Paper Settings to size "Custom"
  6. After the EWS Paper Settings are "applied", go back to your Word > Mailings > Envelopes, set up the envelope, and click Print

General Example

EWS_8630_Settings_Preferences_Paper-Settings_Custom_1EWS_8630_Settings_Preferences_Paper-Settings_Custom_1

NOTES:

• If the "Custom Paper Settings" is not available (or does not work as expected), set the "Default Paper Settings" to "Custom" or to the standard envelope size found in the list.
  • Important:  After you have completed printing your envelope(s), you must go back into EWS and (re)set the Paper Settings size back to your standard paper size for that tray (likely Letter or A4 depending on your region).

Example - Set Paper Settings "back" to standard paper size

HP_8630_EWS_Preferences_Paper_Settings_1HP_8630_EWS_Preferences_Paper_Settings_1

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  Let me clarify my problem.  My printer does print envelopes from word with no problem.  It does not print them from Hallmark card making software.  I have the version from 2010 and the new version from 2019.  Niether will print envelopes, where in the past I could print them from their software with no problem.  Something has changed and  I think it is a Halllmark problem, and I intend to take it up with them; or just stop using their software.

HP Recommended

@gford

I believe you are correct.  Normally, we don't comment on third party software that is not working as expected.

The fact that the envelopes do print using the supported methodologies is good news.  That means your software may just need a setting adjusted or perhaps an update (patch).  ?

I don't remember, I make my own cards and it has been awhile since I've checked for someone; I think Hallmark does have a decent support staff - or at least someone on Chat?

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

My printer (HP Laserjet Pro M402n) used to print envelopes, but now it doesn't. Other documents on 8 1/2 x 11" paper print fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.