Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M377dw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Dear HP,

There are a large number of posts on the error message "Unable to print file. File is corrupt." related to a range of your printers and going back years. A large number of those users posting in those threads come here for the same reason. We are running some version of Mac OS X with some version of your printer which was added via AirPrint. When printing a PDF from Preview or some other app, we get the above mentioned error.

I have expanded a good amount of patience with this issue. Both your telephone support, on-site tech team and forum moderators all suggest the same workaround: to add the printers directly via IP and Jetdirect, not Airprint, protocol. This workaround has worked for both me and many other users but it leaves me wondering.

I am running both Apple and HP equipment because those two do nicely integrate and HP appeared to produce decent printer drivers. However, this long-standing Airprint issue suggests gross neglect from both Apple and HP. I expect both companies to get their act together and fix this Airprint issue. I am facing this issue in Mac OS 10.13 and 10.14, even a Windows 10 Pro PC. The threads go both years.

HP management, please pay attention. If this issue is not resolved, you may find a lot of Mac users switching to other brands. There is some sort of protocol issue. I don't care! I only care about you resolving this issue properly, not just offering an ugly workaround suggesting that Airprint is somehow broken. It is in your best interest to have this issue fixed.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I've been having the same issue - almost daily with different types of PDF and Jupyter Notebooks printing.

I did eventually print this out fine on a Win7 PC, so it seems to be a Mac-HP issue - and I would also echo the sentiments that it's extremely frustrating to have a document unable to print after a certain random (but repeated) page in the file.

I can even provide you a link to a website page that reproduces the problem on my Mac pro (or probably any Mac) : https://gombru.github.io/2018/05/23/cross_entropy_loss/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.