Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet CP2025dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My CP2025dn exhibits the classic symptoms of a "sticky solenoid".  After sitting idle for a l-o-n-g time, it will print one or two pages (either from a print command or any test page).  After that, any attempt to print will result in constant recycling of failed attempts to pick.  I have found numerous descriptions of how to clean the pick solenoid to correct the issue, but I have yet to find anything that tells me how to locate and remove the solenoid on my printer model.  It appears to be pretty straightforward on many HP printers, but not on the CP2020 series.  Can anyone provide guidance on how to access my pickup solenoid?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This guy, East2100, has a brilliant solution of using a piece of paper, without having to remove the solenoid. I just tried it today and it worked! However, you have to remove the right cover, the rear-upper cover, the upper-cover, the control panel, and finally the right panel, just to see it. I'm no repairman, I just followed the instructions in the HP2020 Service Manual. Go to Page 136, Right Panel, and it will tell you what other pages to go for step-to-step instructions of all of the above parts.

Here's one of East2100's posts about this problem: Where to find the sticky solenoid 

And here are my photos that might help someone like me who is not a professional.

First, prepare the paper:

V shape paper.jpg

Solenoid location on CP2025.jpg

Solenoid before.jpg

Solenoid w paper insert.jpg

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Try to clean paper pickup rubber roller and separator roller, that is the easy job and there is a chance it will fix you feeding issues. If cleaning helps that would be temporary, the next step is to replace rubber parts. The paper pickup rubber can be rotated so that the unused part of is placed on the slippery used part ( the belly of D ).

CP2025 paper pickup solenoid is tricky to access, they are not known to get sticky as on some other printers.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

This guy, East2100, has a brilliant solution of using a piece of paper, without having to remove the solenoid. I just tried it today and it worked! However, you have to remove the right cover, the rear-upper cover, the upper-cover, the control panel, and finally the right panel, just to see it. I'm no repairman, I just followed the instructions in the HP2020 Service Manual. Go to Page 136, Right Panel, and it will tell you what other pages to go for step-to-step instructions of all of the above parts.

Here's one of East2100's posts about this problem: Where to find the sticky solenoid 

And here are my photos that might help someone like me who is not a professional.

First, prepare the paper:

V shape paper.jpg

Solenoid location on CP2025.jpg

Solenoid before.jpg

Solenoid w paper insert.jpg

HP Recommended

I forgot to add this link to the Service Manual, which is essential:

https://shared.swissparts.ch/Manuals/HP/Color%20Laserjet/HP%20Color%20LaserJet%20CP2020.pdf

HP Recommended

RPHK - could you re-post your photos?  All I see are four triangles.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

That's not paper pickup solenoid.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

@RPHK - Many thanks for your solution.  Your photos and description were spot-on.  I couldn't follow East2100's description.

HP Recommended

Glad to help, but I'm just an amateur. East2100 is a professional, and the paper is his brilliant solution. I just found some photos of his in this thread, for a different model of printer, but shows the solenoid clearly and the paper placement clearly, as the solenoid was removed:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/59-C0-Error-on-Laserjet-Pro-400-Color-M451dn/td-p/64...

And since one Sticky Solenoid probably means more sticky solenoids on the same printer (the others are facing the same aging foam) here's a link that he always includes that describes the general problem. The trick on each printer model is to find where it is:  http://westhillprinters.blogspot.com/2011/12/sticky-solenoids.html 

HP Recommended

No, Valsimot, this is not the paper pickup solenoid. However, East2100's solution did solve my problem, which is just as described by the original poster.

If my printer has one sticky solenoid, the others are probably also sticky, right? I would appreciate it, if you could tell us how to access those on the CP2025.

Many thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

I second the comment from @RPHK:  I've searched everywhere  for the locations of the other solenoids on the CP2020 / M451 series, but no success.  It would be really helpful if someone could provide that information.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.