Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laser Jet Pro M254nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After properly installed this M254nw printer, it turns up that only PDF and JPG-documets can be printed.

Windows-documents, such as Word, Excel, Works, Notepad are all rejected. They don't even show in the printer queue.

When using the HP app "HP Smart" and the buttom "PRINT DOCUMENTS" the app only find PDF-documents in the folders.  When typing the exaxt file name for a Word-file, the app recognize the document, but refuse to print it, because "interruption / error in file code".

I un-installed the actual software and re-installed again, properly, but the same happens.

Any hope for this?

Kind regards

Oddbjørn, Norway

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @oddbru,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have already made up the plan of purchasing a new new. Congratulations and I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time.

If you need any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again. I'll be more than glad to help you.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @oddbru,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!  I understand you are having issues printing from your HP LaserJet printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

I would first suggest a clean install to get this issue fixed. Here are the steps:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Go to Run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.

Restart your computer.

Now click  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/LJ/M253-M254/LJM253-M254_UWWL_Full_WebPack_44.1.25... to install the software.

Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If the issue persists, the issue could be with the printer permissions. I would suggest giving administrator permissions as suggested below:

Press the "Windows logo key" + "r" to get “Run" - Type "spool" and press ok.

Right-click on "PRINTERS" - Select "Properties"

Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.

Go to "Devices and printers", right-click on the new printer that you installed and select "Printer properties".

Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.

Restart your computer and then try to print.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks to Jeet_singh, 01-29-2018 11:34 AM for your thorough advise.

Anyway - I have got a deal with the retailer to replace this printer with a different one.

I'm considering your suggestion of the extensive way of installing the software is indicating there is a program conflict in my PC.  Yes, of course that might be a possible reason.

But I expect a new printer in 2018 to be installed easily in 3-4 "plug - and- play" steps.

I hope HP will test this LJ/M253-M254 with the present software to a Windows 10 - computer to see if the printer is understanding Windows-documents...

Kind regards

Oddbru

HP Recommended

Hi @oddbru,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have already made up the plan of purchasing a new new. Congratulations and I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time.

If you need any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again. I'll be more than glad to help you.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.