Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am running Windows 10 and am using an old version of Microsoft Works.  I just purchase a new Laserjet Pro M404n printer and it will print everything but my Works .wdb and .xlr files.  I get an Microsoft out of memory error message.

I have a brand new print driver installed so I really don't want to change that if possible.

Can anyone suggest something else?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@mrad5 

The possible problem:

The printer cannot translate the data, that is, it cannot read the document.

Try exporting the data to a PDF format.

If the printer still balks (stands in mud, refuses to move), print the PDF file as an image (no translation necessary).

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

• HINT: Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software
  • Adobe Reader DC software should be installed even if you do not open / view / print PDF files directly from the software.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Learn & Support

PDF - Print as Image

If the file will not print due to unusual content (odd fonts, color schemes, tables, other oddities), print the file as an Image.  Image printing does not require the printer software to translate file content.

Open the offending PDF file in Adobe Reader DC > File > Print > Advanced >>

1. Set the printer select the colors (Optional)
  2. Print the PDF file as an image

============================================================================

If all else fails - for example, you cannot export the data to a PDF file,

take a screenshot or a snip of the document on your computer, save the data as a .JPG file and print that.

Snip – available since Vista!  Check out the “delay” feature in Windows 10

Snipping Tool in Windows 10 / 8 / 7: Tips & Tricks to capture screenshots

From Microsoft

Use Snipping Tool to capture screenshots

Firefox provides a "snip" feature -- you must have a Firefox account to use it.

Firefox Screenshots

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP LaserJet Pro M404n

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Merry Christmas 2019Merry Christmas 2019

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.